Need advise on Schiit Valhalla 2 vs Bottlehead Crack with speed ball for HD650
Oct 7, 2015 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

warlock07

New Head-Fier
Hello every one,

I got a HD650 HP last year. Saved some money now and want to buy an amp. After lots of research and reading I finalized Schiit Valhalla 2 and Bottlehead crack.

I feel HD650's are very little bright ( I mean I feel very little sharp sparkles, but nothing bad now) and lacks little bit of Bass (just a little might make me feel good).

So, Since tube amps makes music little warm, smooth and Valhalla 2 and Bottlehead gives little punchy bass (even by changing tubes). I fixed for these two.

Other amps which I considered are O2+ODAC, Darkvoice, LD MK3, but read reviews both DV and LD are dark and warm and O2+ODAC is neutral.

I will be stacking with Schiit Modi 1 for now. And after few months I will be upgrading to better DAC.

Currently my source is Razer Blade 15 and most of the files are either FLAC or 320 . I can say RB15 has very good output (I got a FIIO X5ii and when compare with my laptop I can only notice a little bit of improvement in clarity, instrument seperation and volume level, so compared to the improvement in sound and investment I returned FIIO X5ii and want to spend my money on amp) and will be upgrading to a DAP too in future.

But crack I am not sure of Building on my own. So, got a headfier willing to sell crack with speed ball, step attenuator upgraded for 420$.

And new Schiit Valhalla 2 from Amazon for 380$

And I dont have any plans of buying or changing HP in near future or upgrading AMP or DAC once i buy, unless some thing gets broke.

So, considering my situation, can you recommend me on which amp to buy.

Thank You.

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 3
A20 pairs excellent with HD650 but if you prefer to use tubes I think the Bottlehead Crack is the way to go. HD650 and Bottlehead Crack is probably one of the best values arround. Based on your preferences I think you'd like R2R DAC more than Delta-Sigma so maybe it's worth looking more into, but I'm not sure about your bugdet for the DAC alone? 

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 3
HI,

Thank you for the reply.

My total budget is $500 for now. 400 goes for Amp and I am looking around 100$ for the DAC (which is temporary), I will buy a new dac once  I save some more money. So, I found Schiit Modi which is 79$ for new one in amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back