furyagain

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for advise on headphones,

i currently have a T1,HD800, rs1i and i am selling the HE-6

I am looking for
1) full size
2) warmer/ more bass then T1
3)other then LCD-2 or LCD-3  or Stax or Grado or ultrasone(hate it)

lol i know, i have been thinking about getting the LCD-3 or lcd-2 v2
but base on my last experience on the LCD-2 v1
i may think the LCD line may be too bassy for me, also too heavy( physical weight)

price range ... mm under 2k

Thanks alot!

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 7
If you don't mind 'stat equipment, you could go for the classic Koss ESP950, which is still in small-scale production. The included amp is fine, but some users choose to use Stax amps (recabling is involved to make it work) for greater warmth.

As for sound, milosz described them to me as "similar to the Stax Lambda Pro, but with more bass impact and a slightly more forward midrange. Good detail, resolution, transparency. One of the better headphones made."

I've had the chance to audition an ESP950 for about an hour at their headquarters in Milwaukee, and can back that up. They're very detailed, yet colored pleasingly.

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 7
Go for Audio-Technica L3000 if you can find them. If that's too $$$, I'd suggest trying out the Victor JVC DX-1000s. They have the best bass signature of any sub $1,500 can I've heard, but they are slightly bulky; not heavy, just bulky. 

My friend wants to sell his, so PM me if interested. LCD-3 won't solve your problems. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 7
ESP950 is pretty good, but I would seriously suggest getting rid of that amp. While the stock system sounds reasonably good, the amp is definitely the bottleneck. But then again if you're going that route, you're probably looking at an aftermarket electrostatic amp, and there's no reason not to consider some potential Stax alternatives as well. Also Sennheiser HE60, and well, just good 'stats in general.

I also think that HD650 with a very good amp, or HD600, will do wonders. I know they don't cost a grand and generally are overlooked these days in favor of shinier newer stuff, but you'd be surprised what these headphones can do with some real power behind them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back