NEED ADVISE ON DIY AMP FOR W5000
Oct 24, 2006 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

scottiebabie

1000+ Head-Fier
GURUS, i was able to score an 2mth old ATH W5000 at a deal i couldnt refuse though i am still awaiting delivery. will be driving the W5k with a marantz 67SE -> slightly modded Zhaolu 2.0 with Discrete Headamp upgrade (any1 tried this Zhaolu discrete headamp wit W5k or similar?)

have been reading the posts on amps for the W5k but due to locality reasons (im stuck in a headfi desert), there's pratically no headamps of note tat i can see nevermind audition. a brilliant idea
rolleyes.gif
popped into my head tat mayb its possible to DIY a good high current amp for the low z W5k.

i read that although the W5k sounds "decent" unamped (or reasonably amped), it needs a specifically designed high current amp to realy bring out the W5k. as the bank account is kinda dry at the moment, DIY mayb my best option. any suggestions? ifso, pls be specific as to the design and parts needed. your help would be mucho appreciated
icon10.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang
try a discreet PPA v2?

no opamps involved.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115723

Scottie, Alamaklor (Kin0Kin) is selling his, why not check his unit out?

yup, i saw the post at LYN. i oso happen to own a PPAv2 (built by thedoctor) wit opa627s tat im using as my bedside companion driving a pair of ksc75s which sounds wonderfull i mite add
biggrin.gif
. will defnatly try it out once my W5k arrives.

i have a sneak suspicion that the Zhaolu discrete amp mite be a better hi current amp than the PPAv2 (which thedoctor tells me is more catered to the hi z senns). im more specificaly looking for something in the design vein of AT's own HA5000 which sports mosfets ICs. any other ideas?

ps:ur oneup on me calling me by name
eek.gif
. any chance ur active at LYN and do i know u?

Oct 24, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottiebabie
yup, i saw the post at LYN. i oso happen to own a PPAv2 (built by thedoctor) wit opa627s tat im using as my bedside companion driving a pair of ksc75s which sounds wonderfull i mite add
biggrin.gif
. will defnatly try it out once my W5k arrives.

i have a sneak suspicion that the Zhaolu discrete amp mite be a better hi current amp than the PPAv2 (which thedoctor tells me is more catered to the hi z senns). im more specificaly looking for something in the design vein of AT's own HA5000 which sports mosfets ICs. any other ideas?

ps:ur oneup on me calling me by name
eek.gif
. any chance ur active at LYN and do i know u?

I'm the one with the cat avatar, and a HD650.

I'm not sure about thedoctor's PPA v2 because he doesnt really use "decent" components
rolleyes.gif
on the PPA v2 in order to cut cost.

Alamaklor's unit on the other hand, could be alot more better because of the superior parts used and the discreet design. Without the opamps means lesser components, it should sound wayyy better than even a PPA v2 with the AD8610s.

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister
Millet Hybrid should do a decent job..

any personal experience pairing the Millet with equilavent AT cans to reach your conclusion? would be a great help if u'v heard how they sound together
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang
I'm the one with the cat avatar, and a HD650.

I'm not sure about thedoctor's PPA v2 because he doesnt really use "decent" components
rolleyes.gif
on the PPA v2 in order to cut cost.

Alamaklor's unit on the other hand, could be alot more better because of the superior parts used and the discreet design. Without the opamps means lesser components, it should sound wayyy better than even a PPA v2 with the AD8610s.

hmmmm.........more food for thought. only problem with alamaks PPAv2 is that the unit is in Halifax which basicaly makes it impossible to to an audition.

VIC has had great experiences with the chinese Original Master and his W5k which oso happens to be usd180-200. wonder how to get a hold of that in S.E.A.?

oso wat about a DIY M^3. it has mosfets out and is tuned for hi current output?

ps:O btw littleghost, dont know whether it matters but i like the zhaolu's discrete amp slightly better than the PPAv2 on my HD600/mogami. slightly more upfront with the details and oso slightly more dynamic overall.

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 16
If I were to use one of the current common DIY amps it would be the M^3 or if you are up to building it, one of the Gilmore designs (Dynalo, Dynahi), but only if you put a serious power supply behind it. The M^3 has a very low output impedance thanks to the high current mosfets, which is exactly what you want for low impedance headphones. It sounds nearly as good as the Gilmore designs but is easier to put together, and is not as demanding as far as power supply quality is concerned. Also, A-T's own HA5000 is a mosfet output stage amp, FWIW.

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 16
Yes, the M^3 is a very good choice. I heard and compared it with my HA5000 in a resent mini-met. Do a search for the ha5000 and M^3 in the meet impressions area to find what was said then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
If I were to use one of the current common DIY amps it would be the M^3 or if you are up to building it, one of the Gilmore designs (Dynalo, Dynahi), but only if you put a serious power supply behind it. The M^3 has a very low output impedance thanks to the high current mosfets, which is exactly what you want for low impedance headphones. It sounds nearly as good as the Gilmore designs but is easier to put together, and is not as demanding as far as power supply quality is concerned. Also, A-T's own HA5000 is a mosfet output stage amp, FWIW.

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

any personal experience pairing the Millet with equilavent AT cans to reach your conclusion? would be a great help if u'v heard how they sound together
tongue.gif

Well I used it with my W3000 phones for 6 months, and I bought a maxed one to use with my new L3000...say something about my opinion of the amp? It is great...warm tube sound, doesn't light your wallet and does a great job amping the low impedence phones I have heard. I buy my Amps built, but on a DIY level it is not supposed to be too difficult, well documented build to.

Oct 25, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 16
Maxed out M^3 will probably will you conservatively, IMO, over 80% of HA5000. (check my sig)

Oct 25, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138
Maxed out M^3 will probably will you conservatively, IMO, over 80% of HA5000. (check my sig)

thxs guys, sounds like i should realy checkout the M^3 (atleast until the bank acct stops running red
frown.gif
). btw, can u elaborate in more details as to wats involved in maxing out a M^3 (as opposed to just a normal M^3)?

Oct 25, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

thxs guys, sounds like i should realy checkout the M^3 (atleast until the bank acct stops running red
frown.gif
). btw, can u elaborate in more details as to wats involved in maxing out a M^3 (as opposed to just a normal M^3)?

if you're looking at a maxed-out M^3, you might as well look at a dynalo.
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
if you're looking at a maxed-out M^3, you might as well look at a dynalo.
wink.gif

hmmm.....so far the suggestions boils down to a discrete PPAv2, Millet Hybrid. Dynalo and a Max M^3.

i juz went thru the thread on SK138's meet where he (n frens) did a direct comparo with HA5000 in hand. based on wat i can interpret, SK138's M^3 did pretty well. i know its matter of opinions and perferences but to a headfi noob (me!me!), its reassuring.

i know where i can get me hands on a overkill M^3, so mayb that mite be the clincher. juz wondering wats the difference btwn an "overkill M^3" and a "Maxed M^3"! is it just me or do others get
confused.gif
by the terminology2???
280smile.gif

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #15 of 16
My maxed out M^3 was built by Rockhopper Audio. I believe it's the last maxed M^3 made by thrice (here at the forum). It contains blackgate NX series caps, silver wire, STEP power, and better volume pod. It does not have the bass boost since it can degrade the sound. Not to mention...I got a great deal on the unit...otherwise, I would have gotten the HA5000
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

hmmm.....so far the suggestions boils down to a discrete PPAv2, Millet Hybrid. Dynalo and a Max M^3.

i juz went thru the thread on SK138's meet where he (n frens) did a direct comparo with HA5000 in hand. based on wat i can interpret, SK138's M^3 did pretty well. i know its matter of opinions and perferences but to a headfi noob (me!me!), its reassuring.

i know where i can get me hands on a overkill M^3, so mayb that mite be the clincher. juz wondering wats the difference btwn an "overkill M^3" and a "Maxed M^3"! is it just me or do others get
confused.gif
by the terminology2???
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back