Need advise on Desktop Amp/DAC combo for Mad Dogs and future Headphones
Nov 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bluebirdy

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for audio advise again. This time after buying my Mad Dogs, I have ventured into the world of headphone audio, and have been quite addicted to it.

Alright, I've been trying to find amp/dac combo or any other ones that can drive my Mad Dogs perfectly, with the most transparent sound and a little hint of warmness.

Budget < US$1,000.

I've been searching and searching and I found the Musical Fidelity M1-HPAP to be fully within my budget, and sounds great when I tested it with my macbook air at a local shop in Singapore.

I tested the Lehmann Audio BCL and find it quite transparent, which I like very much, but bad thing is it is a little too analytical for me, its like listening for flaws in the song, not enjoying music at all.

I've heard good reviews about the ALO Audio PanAm, Woo Audio WA7 and Burson HA-160D, which all sits within my budget but have yet to test it out.

I think I'll much prefer a solid state amp because I'm afraid of upgradetivitis, to keep tube rolling to get the sound I want, which will add a few hundreds in.

My rig will be very simple. Macbook Air > USB DAC+AMP > Headphones.

I'm also thinking about saving up for the Sennheiser HD800 as I heard it at a shop in Singapore and I love it very much, so the amp much perfectly complement both the Mad Dogs/Alpha Dogs and Sennheiser HD800.

Hope I'm not being too difficult.

Any input from you guys are much much welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I listen to a lot of EDM, from Avicii, Armin Van Buuren, Deadmau5, and also mainstream pop like Avril Lavigne and Adele, and Rock, by Muse, Linkin Park(old songs), RHCP, Guns and Roses, Nirvana, etc.

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 4
Audio-GD NFB-15.32 DAC/Amp, $255 + shipping.
Mine arrived 8 days ago, easily drives my 600-Ohm headphones.
Has the USB and S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) inputs.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Nov 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi thanks for your input, but I need comparisons with other amps in regards to my mad dogs headphone
frown.gif

You might consider posting Mad dog questions here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/666284/mrspeakers-mad-dog-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back