Need Advise: ATH-M50 vs KNS-8400
Apr 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LastQuestion

New Head-Fier
So, I purchased the m50s and found they weren't all that comfortable by comparison to my other headphones(AD700s, HD555s, Astro A40s) and thought I'd see if there were other monitoring headphones which were more comfortable. I ran across a thread on head-fi which had a whole bunch of people recommending the KRK KNS-8400 so I went ahead and ordered that. It is more comfortable, but the bass is nearly non-existent. The M50s have started to break-in so I'm wondering if the 8400s bass improves all that much the more its used. The thing is, I recently started editing dub/trap/prog, dance music in general, and my AD700s were leading to fatigue due to the long hours of editing. The relatively weak bass of the AD700s seems overpowering by comparison to the 8400s so it's an issue and I'd like some advise on the matter both on the topic in general and specifically concerning the bass and break-in period of the KNS-8400s.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 11
Or go directly with the SRH840's. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
The bass doesn't get any more prominent with burn in. Try a pair of shure srh440 with the srh840 ear pads.

I've been giving the 8400s a fair chance. I admit the accuracy it has overall has me leaning towards them regardless of how weak the bass is. Afterall, I have other cans for personal listening and this is meant entirely for editing. Still, how neutral/accurate are the SRH840s? I'm not adverse to returning both cans and paying a bit extra if it will better suit my needs.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
I've been giving the 8400s a fair chance. I admit the accuracy it has overall has me leaning towards them regardless of how weak the bass is. Afterall, I have other cans for personal listening and this is meant entirely for editing. Still, how neutral/accurate are the SRH840s? I'm not adverse to returning both cans and paying a bit extra if it will better suit my needs.

The SRH840 are less neutral than the KNS8400. Quite warm, almost what I'd consider a fun sound. The SRH440 are more neutral than the SRH840.

You could also consider the German Maestro GMP400.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
The SRH840 are less neutral than the KNS8400. Quite warm, almost what I'd consider a fun sound. The SRH440 are more neutral than the SRH840.

You could also consider the German Maestro GMP400.

Hm. I thought the SRH840s were supposed to be more accurate monitors due to being a higher tier product. I'm honestly not familiar with what descriptions such as 'warm' entail in precise terms let alone in regard to how it would affect monitoring the content I'll be editing. Accuracy is key, so having bass which would be indicative of the content is necessary. With the 8400s the best one can do is 'guess' and that's not all that helpful.

Also, $300 is out of my price range, I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible.

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 11
The 8.35 D seems like the way to go. I had hoped to order from AZ but a spiral cable and right-angle jack are something I'd prefer to avoid. The main thread said contacting them directly would allow customization of that stuff so I'll see how that goes after the refunds from AZ come in for the M50/8400.

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 11
if you are referring to the M50's i can second that. i currently have the M50 and am looking for an upgrade. i recently put them through a stress test where i plaied them underwater, jumped on them, through them off a two story balcony, and my friend ran them over (he was only going maybe ten). the only damage is a very small dent in the corner arch on one cup and a new crack in the pleather. the reason for me wanting to switch is for something with a little less bas and more forward mids. great cans though :)

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 11
Weird, to me the m50 was far more comfortable but the 8400 sounded a lot better, bigger sound stage, up front mids, nice treble, and the mid bass sounded neutral, the sub bass is slightly recessed but coming from the m50 it would seem as if it wasn't there both are good but to me sound wise the m50 only wins for electronic and metal
So, I purchased the m50s and found they weren't all that comfortable by comparison to my other headphones(AD700s, HD555s, Astro A40s) and thought I'd see if there were other monitoring headphones which were more comfortable. I ran across a thread on head-fi which had a whole bunch of people recommending the KRK KNS-8400 so I went ahead and ordered that. It is more comfortable, but the bass is nearly non-existent. The M50s have started to break-in so I'm wondering if the 8400s bass improves all that much the more its used. The thing is, I recently started editing dub/trap/prog, dance music in general, and my AD700s were leading to fatigue due to the long hours of editing. The relatively weak bass of the AD700s seems overpowering by comparison to the 8400s so it's an issue and I'd like some advise on the matter both on the topic in general and specifically concerning the bass and break-in period of the KNS-8400s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back