Need advice: Tube amp pairing with DT990 prem 600ohm
Dec 13, 2015 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

CommanderKeen85

New Head-Fier
Happy Sunday all,

I have very little experience with tube amps, so I'm hoping some of you more experienced lady's/gentlemen could provide a bit of feedback.

I'm looking to pair the dt990 600ohm headphones with two things in mind. Getting a higher amount of volume (O2 amp was not nearly enough for the 600ohm beyers) and to mellow out the treble some.

I'm hesitant to put much money into my first tube amp, but I also don't want get something that will ultimately underwhelm.

I'm kind of deciding between these two options:

On the cheaper end of things. I've heard the TD mk i+ ($140 amazon) is a good option with mullard tubes, but I am worried it won't give me the power I crave. However I think you can adjust jumpers to set near 10x gain.

On the more expensive side, the darkvoice 336 se should provide plenty of power. But with the addition of mullard tubes, I'm looking at $299 plus whatever extra the tubes will cost.

Any ideas or thoughts would be immensely appreciated!

Thank you for reading,

Jon

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 3
Did you max out the volume settings to what source you connected the O2 amplifier to?
What source(s) do you use?

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 3
It may be out of your budget range, but take a look at the Musical Paradise MP-301.  I've had one for about 2 years and Hi-Z phones are made for this amp.  I have 600 Ohm DT990s, 250 Ohm DT880s and Senn HD-580s and 650s.  This amp has no problems driving them.  It's been one of the more "fun" amps I have.  I've tube-rolled about 15 different pair of output tubes - each has a slightly different sound signature.  It's a Class A amp and it does run a little warm - but mine has been solid as a rock and I have about 2300 hours on it.
Just a suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back