Need advice to teach myself Japanese from zero and revise French/Chinese
Oct 29, 2005 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

saint.panda

Headphoneus Supremus
So I want to learn Japanese but missed the application deadline for the language course at my uni.
rolleyes.gif

What would be a good way to teach myself Japanese from scratch at home? Perhaps books or internet? I don't need to be able to read a newspaper and it's more out of interest for the Japanese culture.

Also, I need to practice Chinese (characters/vocabulary, grammar, writing) and revise French (grammar and vocabulary). Are there any recommended ways or books for learning Chinese characters and to practice French?

I've had French at school and took the American ap literature exam but forgot pretty much everything and I'd like to pass the first three levels of the French DELF test in January (grammar, writing, reading comprehension, oral exam). Chinese is supposed to be my mother tongue in speaking but my vocabulary in both speaking and writing is embarassing to say the least (that of a 9 year old at most...), so I'd really like to change that over the next 2 years of college, which should be plenty of time I hope.

Thanks for any help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 10
If you're primarily interested in Japanese culture you might want to consider just studying that for the next semester or so and then enrole in a class when you get a chance.

Everyone I know who has tried to self-teach themselves a language has eventually thrown up their hands and decided to take a class.

Of course, YMMV. You seem pretty skilled with languages, and it certainly isn't impossible to learn a language on your own... just very hard.

Oct 30, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 10
Hi Saint.Panda:
Try to get ahold of Claude Douget. He lived in Zuerich for quite some time and (I think) may be living in Hinwil right now. He is a language teacher at the Canton Schule in Luzern and he is a fantastic language teacher. His mother-tongue is French but he is mainly an English teacher. If he can't help you himself, I'm sure he can make a recommendation for you. He may be too busy w/ work and family to help you personally but...
Tell him that Lewis recommended him. We went to Grad School together and I can't think of anyone better in Zuerich if you want to learn French.
Good Luck
CPW

Oct 30, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
If you're primarily interested in Japanese culture you might want to consider just studying that for the next semester or so and then enrole in a class when you get a chance.

Yeah, I was thinking about that but I think the dedication required for this is more than I was planning to invest. I'm just looking for a comfy way to slowly learn bit and pieces of in the comfort of my own four walls if that is somehow possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw

Thanks! I'll try to get hold of him and see what he can recommend.

Oct 30, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by myself, aka me
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/news.php

this one might be of help.

I miss being new to studying. Now I have to actually say sentences that make sense, and it's all too much. Argh.

Very cool, I'll take a look. Thank you!

Oct 30, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 10
As for Japanese, the best way is to take a few fundamental courses and then just go on an exchange program or literally be in Japan for 1 year. You'll learn pretty fast. I have several friends who did that and they came out of quite fluent in the end.

As for Chinese, I can definitely tell you that spending 4 months in Beijing alone supporting a project did wonders to my Mandarin..

To truly learn a language, you have to truly immerse yourself in that culture with almost no opportunity to speak anything else. You learn very fast due to the will to survive.

BTW, didn't know that you were Chinese..
smily_headphones1.gif
That's cool!

SH

Oct 30, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 10
Oct 30, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 10
Also for Japanese, once you've learned it, writing skills will go away the quickest if you don't use them regularly. My writing skills have eroded in the past decade or so I've lived in the States (I'm Japanese). I can still speak and read perfectly fine, though. I reckon I can probably still read better than most folks in Japan that are of similar age.

Oct 30, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks guys, I'll keep all the advice in mind!

I'd love to spend some quality time, perhaps 6-12 months in China and/or Japan, preferrably 'and', but I'll have to see how that fits together with possible graduate studies or work. Right now, I don't even want to consider the possibility of not going to college anymore. It's just too much fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back