Need advice to buy IEM for listening Metal/Death Metal
Apr 7, 2009 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

xmenudriftx

New Head-Fier
I'm going on a huge upgrade from skullcandy inkbuds to an IEM around $170-$200. I ONLY listen to Death metal and all other sub-genre's of Metal. But i don't know which brand would be good for me, im new to high end IEM. I've been considering:

- Etymotic ER4P
- Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro
- Denon AH-C700K
- Sennheiser IE 7

Oh, I have small ear canals so I dont know if i will be able to use the ER4P to its maximum capabilities if i buy them?? Right now i use the smallest size buds of the Skullcandy inkbuds and they seem to fit me very well.

If you have any other suggestion for other brand feel free to post it.

Apr 7, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the IE7's would be great for metal since it's fast and bassy.

x2
VAST improvement over the skullcandy's...

Apr 7, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 22
I'd recommend the UE Super.fi 5 Pro but also get the Comply T-500 eartips instead of the UE-provided eartips.
happy_face1.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 22
Monster Turbines would also be a great choice (I have them as well as ER4P).. while the 4p is fast, it lacks bass to make death metal shine

IE7 I haven't heard, it seems it would also work but its more expensive then turbine. if you really wanna go over ear though, they're made for it too (ie7 not turbine)

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Monster Turbines would also be a great choice (I have them as well as ER4P).. while the 4p is fast, it lacks bass to make death metal shine

IE7 I haven't heard, it seems it would also work but its more expensive then turbine. if you really wanna go over ear though, they're made for it too (ie7 not turbine)

Does the ER4P come with a small size tri-flanged? also, can i insert other sleeves to the ER4P thats not flanged? thanks

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 22
I really don't think a ton of bass is good for metal. Some, yes but it's not really a main part of the music. It's all about the guitars and drums, at least imo.

I listen to mostly melodic death metal but also a ton of other subgenres like power, prog, doom, etc. I'd stay away from the EB unless you primarily listen to only hiphop/rap etc.

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #11 of 22
I listen to a lot of metal and deathmetal (slipknot, mudvayne, metallica, etc.) and the Monster Turbines work great for this genera. They hit hard for an IEM, and have good detail.

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #12 of 22
Sorry for the hi-jack, but how do the dt770/80s do with mudvayne, slipknot etc?
Since I should be posting something relevant, I have the atrios, and while they are good for metal, they aren't quite quick enough. That leads me to suggest the IE7.

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddie_shreddie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the SF5EB be good for metal i am in a similar situation.
I do also listen to some rap.

Unless you're a basshead, my suggestion of using the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro with the Comply T-500 tips still stands. If you like a lot of clear, deep bass, I'd would look for the Futuresonics Atrio M5 if you can afford it.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ton of bass isn't good but you just said its about the guitars and drums.. so.. for drums.. especially the kick pedal, you need bass

good point, most of the bands use a lot of double bass

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #15 of 22
My IE 8 works well with Death Metal, grindcore and other Metal genre. Strong (but not overwhelming) tight bass, with a ridiculous amount of detail across. It is capable of keeping up with the amount of detail and speed. The closest on your list is the IE 7, so that is my suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back