Need Advice - Setting Up a Wndows Based Music Server
Jul 24, 2012 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rroseperry

Headphoneus Supremus
So my trusty Dell Vostro blue screened today.

I started getting Trojan attack notices from Norton on Friday, ran a full scan today and then BSOD. The computer is in the shop right now, but I started thinking about what I wanted to do with it when I get it back. I just got a laptop and will probably be switching the bulk of my work to it. The tower will mainly be a repository for photo and music files.

So how does one set up a music server? I'm thinking about running wireless from the tower to a Squeezebox, then out through an headphone amp. Does this make sense? Are there better options?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 3
The Squeezebox server software could run on the tower under windows or Linux.  You could then wirelessly stream it to a Logitech Touch and out to a headphone amp and not even involve the new laptop.  Should sound good too, since most computer systems that are doing something in addition to just serving up music files generally impact the sound quality.  At least they do on Macs, and I think Windows is an even more difficult environment to tweak for great sound.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks Bixby, that's what I thought. I'm not even going to bother with the laptop for music. If I need portable, I've got portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back