Need advice regarding closed cans for portable use
Sep 11, 2002 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

M.Sensation

Head-Fier
After running a number of searches and reading a number of posts, I'm still undecided on my next headphone purchase. Here is the criteria for my headphones.

1.) Closed. I need them for portable use and need them to block out noise. Right now I've been using the Koss KSC 35 for this but it lets in just too much ambient noise on the bus. I find myself turning them up quite a bit on the bus without even realizing it.

2.) Sound Quality. I listen to a pretty wide range of music so I guess neutrality would be best. I don't mind a slightly aggressive sound with a little oomph to the bass like the KSC 35 tho. One thing I do miss with the KSC 35 is the soundstage. Going from the Koss on the bus to the HD 600's at work makes me realize how important it is to some of the music I listen to. Is it true that most closed headphones have bad soundstage???

3.) Comfort. I like to forget that they are on. I don't have an overly large sized head or ears so I imagine most all of the phones out there will fit me. I'd like to stay away from pleather if possible as I don't like that feeling of sweating under the phones.

4.) Price. As much as I'd like to spend away freely, I do have to keep this on a certain budget. The good news is it's probably more than sufficient for my causes; without taking a closer look at my funds and what not, I'll venture to guess that i'll have between 150 - 200 US or 200 - 300 Canadian to spend. The bad news is stuff up here in Canada is overpriced compared to comparative US prices.

5.) Easy to drive. I do have a cosmic but I find even with the traveler bag it is a little too cumbersome to lug around. For now I have just my pcdp (SL CT570) but maybe in the future I'll look into getting a Meta.

So far I see these as my options

1.) V6/7506 (I'll probably get the Beyer pads tho)
2.) Beyer DT250 80
3.) Senn 280 Pro.

I've read so many good things about all three that I can't really make a decision. Could someone who is familiar with all 3 give me an opinion? Are there any other considerations that I should be making?

Sep 11, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 9
If soundstage and a bit of bottom-end presence are important to you, get the Beyers
smily_headphones1.gif
The V6 have great bass, but the soundstage isn't very good. The Senns have good detail, and are fairly flat, but the don't have much bottom-end presence.

Personally, the HD 280 are a bit more comfortable to me than the Beyer DT250, but that's cuz my head is weird
wink.gif
For most people they Beyers are more comfortable.

Sep 12, 2002 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 9
I don't know what the problem is, but my replacement Beyers still haven't turned up... When I did pop my dud pair on though during burn in, they were pretty comfortable.

1. Any of the phones would serve your needs for on-bus use. The Sennheisers do block out the most sound, but as MacDEF said, they have a flat response - which makes the bass go away when other rumbling noises are competing for your attention.

2. I haven't seriously listened to the 7506 so I can't comment, but the Beyers look to be more your thing in this respect. If the 280's had more bass, these may win the sound argument. As it is, they sound 'top-heavy' on the move.

3. Beyer or V6 w/Beyer pads.

4. I suppose you might be able to get the best deal on the V6 / Sennheisers most easily...

5. Hmmm. Can't comment with any authority on it.

On balance, the Beyers probably win it on 'ultimates' - at least in this range - and the V6 on value. The Sennheisers are somewhere inbetween but I still think they're home/studio-only phones.

PS. See, I didn't mention how s!!t the 280's looked once! Er... oops
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 12, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks guys! Looks likes Beyers it is. On a further note, how hard are the DT250 250's to drive? As I might be considering a truly portable amp in the near future, I'd like to sorta plan ahead. Would the pcdp be able to drive them at all or would they just be unbearable? Also, what would the implications be of driving the DT 250 80's with an amp? Im not really sure how the low impedance would effect anything. Would it just be really loud or could there be potential damage to the electronics by providing too much current?

Thanks again.

Sep 12, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 9
How about some of the other Beyers? More specifically the DT831's DT231's and the DT 770's.

How do these fare in comparison to the 3 already listed?

Sep 13, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 9
231's sound great - but have zippo isolation. Leak city too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back