Need Advice Purchasing Second Hand
Apr 19, 2020 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dearlydie

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

This is my first thread on Head-Fi, and I'm looking to join the ranks by purchasing my first mid-range headphone, namely, after much research, I have myself set on the Fostex Purpleheart TH/TR-X00's. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find these anywhere, as I understand they're discontinued, and the only other prospect remaining is for second hand.

I've found a listing for a set, and I am unsure as of whether they're likely to be a scam or not, any advice for how to best counter any potential fraud? - I understand Paypal has buyer protection, and to look for user reviews, but outside of that, are there any other big red flags?

I would post a link to the website, but I am not sure whether I'd be allowed.

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 4
Hello all,

This is my first thread on Head-Fi, and I'm looking to join the ranks by purchasing my first mid-range headphone, namely, after much research, I have myself set on the Fostex Purpleheart TH/TR-X00's. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find these anywhere, as I understand they're discontinued, and the only other prospect remaining is for second hand.

I've found a listing for a set, and I am unsure as of whether they're likely to be a scam or not, any advice for how to best counter any potential fraud? - I understand Paypal has buyer protection, and to look for user reviews, but outside of that, are there any other big red flags?

I would post a link to the website, but I am not sure whether I'd be allowed.

Thanks!
Hello and welcome! I'm quite new to this forum but I have been buying and selling used gear for years. You should be able to link stuff since you want related advice.

The buy/sell forum here has many tips and it often relate to common sense. The transaction should be smooth, the seller responsive, respectful and informative and so should you. You should not feel rushed or pushed to buy. For payment only through official methods, nothing shady or on the as side. Buyer should have cash in hands.

Ask for pictures and information about the item.

The vast majority of sellers and buyers are legit but a scam can always happen, there is always a small risk and you can't fully protect yourself from it. Just make the risks as small as you can.

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 4
That's sound advice, thank you @bland125 !

I've taken all your advice and made the purchase, and so far the seller has been fantastic - proving proof pictures with timestamps and even posting it the same day with tracking delivery.

Because you trade regularly in used headphones, are there any red flags when you receive headphones? Or other things to look out for @bland125 ?

I've attached a link to the webpage as well, since it's relevant.

https://hifi.nl/tweedehands/1004291...ex-TR-X00-PH,-Purple-Heart-hoofdtelefoon.html

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 4
Happy to be of assistance!

The chances are you are going to get an item in the condition mentioned on the website which is in languages I don't understand. I can do French but not Dutch or German.

Most people in this hobby take very good care of their stuff so chances are, it will be as good or in better shape than you were hoping for.

Always do a close inspection upon reception. If the packaging is in bad shape, take pictures before opening. It should be well packaged/protected to prevent damage too.

All there will be left for you will be to enjoy your purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back