NEED ADVICE! Playing music for a wedding reception.....
Dec 29, 2006 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sant430

500+ Head-Fier
I also posted this on T-Board too.....

A good friend of mine has asked me to be the 'DJ' (I really wouldn't consider myself a DJ by any stretch) for his wedding reception/dance, and I'm looking for a couple of pointers anyone has to offer.

The wedding is a traditional 'American' wedding; non-denominational, the groom's in his 30s and the bride's in her 20s. I'm going to be using my laptop (winamp with the squaresoft crossfade) to drive the music. I'm thinking of making a few playlists that offer a variety of music genres and eras that are wedding appropriate.

I want to keep the music upbeat and diverse, playing from 50s-60s up to some good dancing club music. I'm also going to be throwing in the occasional slow dance. I'm not one for country music, but I do live in Colorado so I know some John Michael Montgomery, Garth, and all that would go off well.

Are there any do's or dont's that I should be aware of when it comes to these specific events?

Anyway, thanks everyone.

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 8
Generally, stay away from Heavy Metal and Gangsta Rap.
biggrin.gif

The only thing I can really recommend is to set the playlists in chunks. For example, start with the first dance, then keep it going so the older folks get a chance to shake their booties. Once things get fired up, start mixing short sets of old music to new music and back again, varying between slow songs and rug cutters. Save most of the material that would be "questionable" to the older generations until later at night. Usually, it's the younger crowd that sticks around the longest, so music to keep them partying will be the way to go into the wee hours.

One thing to remember: Most of the middle aged guests will be willing to dance to just about anything, so when the party gets going and EVERYONE is still around, stick to pop tunes that everyone can enjoy.

PS: GOOD LUCK!

Dec 30, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sant430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also posted this on T-Board too.....

A good friend of mine has asked me to be the 'DJ' (I really wouldn't consider myself a DJ by any stretch) for his wedding reception/dance, and I'm looking for a couple of pointers anyone has to offer.

The wedding is a traditional 'American' wedding; non-denominational, the groom's in his 30s and the bride's in her 20s. I'm going to be using my laptop (winamp with the squaresoft crossfade) to drive the music. I'm thinking of making a few playlists that offer a variety of music genres and eras that are wedding appropriate.

I want to keep the music upbeat and diverse, playing from 50s-60s up to some good dancing club music. I'm also going to be throwing in the occasional slow dance. I'm not one for country music, but I do live in Colorado so I know some John Michael Montgomery, Garth, and all that would go off well.

Are there any do's or dont's that I should be aware of when it comes to these specific events?

Anyway, thanks everyone.

A wedding is a major life event. Your friend asking you to DJ is like asking an amateur photographer to produce a wedding album--not fair to you, or anyone attending. It's non-trivial. That's why good DJs get over five bills minimum for weddings. Recommend that you have a chat with your friend, right away.

Dec 30, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 8
Sit down with him, and the soon to be wife (both at different times) and try and get some song requests out of them. From there, you know what to play when everyone starts dancing, and is in a "who gives a ****" mode. Then, ask around for some serious songs from others, as well as start looking up songs that relate to a wedding.

If I was asked to be the DJ, at my own wedding, I would choose Whacko Jacko's song, thriller to be played at sometime, and a few other strange but fun songs.

Go rent the "wedding singer" and get idea's what not to play lol

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 8
Expect parents, grandparents, uncles...etc etc etc.

Lots of oldies. Also if you play the Chicken Dance i will fly across the country and kill you with the cake knife.

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally, stay away from Heavy Metal and Gangsta Rap.
biggrin.gif

The only thing I can really recommend is to set the playlists in chunks. For example, start with the first dance, then keep it going so the older folks get a chance to shake their booties. Once things get fired up, start mixing short sets of old music to new music and back again, varying between slow songs and rug cutters. Save most of the material that would be "questionable" to the older generations until later at night. Usually, it's the younger crowd that sticks around the longest, so music to keep them partying will be the way to go into the wee hours.

One thing to remember: Most of the middle aged guests will be willing to dance to just about anything, so when the party gets going and EVERYONE is still around, stick to pop tunes that everyone can enjoy.

PS: GOOD LUCK!

Damn, and I had Easy E, Cypress Hill, and Cube already loaded up!
biggrin.gif
Seriously, I didn't even think of chunking the playlists like you suggested...very good call. While I did consider playing a variety of old and new, I didn't even think of shifting the tunes as the night went on. Thanks man!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A wedding is a major life event. Your friend asking you to DJ is like asking an amateur photographer to produce a wedding album--not fair to you, or anyone attending. It's non-trivial. That's why good DJs get over five bills minimum for weddings. Recommend that you have a chat with your friend, right away.

He's in a pickle right now as it is. They re-financed their house and didn't get a FRACTION of what they were told they were getting. The extra $$$ was to cover the matrimonial incidentals. So, they're cutting costs left and right. He does know a DJ who owes him a favor, and he's trying to get this guy to dj the event, but he doesn't know if that's gonna fall through or not. I'm feeling everything you described tho'....that's why I'm here asking for some tips....
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopShelf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sit down with him, and the soon to be wife (both at different times) and try and get some song requests out of them. From there, you know what to play when everyone starts dancing, and is in a "who gives a ****" mode. Then, ask around for some serious songs from others, as well as start looking up songs that relate to a wedding.

If I was asked to be the DJ, at my own wedding, I would choose Whacko Jacko's song, thriller to be played at sometime, and a few other strange but fun songs.

Go rent the "wedding singer" and get idea's what not to play lol

I've started thinking of the typical wedding songs, and the old 80s is always a hit. I'm seriously considering checking out "The Wedding Singer" anyway!! You do have a point, once I start playing, I'll have a much better idea as to what's gonna fly and what won't.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Expect parents, grandparents, uncles...etc etc etc.

Lots of oldies. Also if you play the Chicken Dance i will fly across the country and kill you with the cake knife.

I'm feeling a heavy dose of Motown is due; maybe some elvis and ray charles too. That's funny you mentioned the Chicken Dance, cuz I d/l a copy of that too! ...can't see myself buying that cd tho!!

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tell me about it. My buddy asked me to shoot his wedding. I had a 35mm camera and a couple of lenses, and no experience. I resisted, but he stayed after me. Luckily, I had the chance to attend another wedding prior to his and watched the photographer closely, mainly for composition.

On top of that, my camera was acting up, so I borrowed another 35mm camera to use for the wedding. The worst thing was that this particular body had a different focusing mechanism that I was not used to and had me worried that many of the pics would be out of focus.

Anyway, I figured that if I took enough shots and bracketed them, there would be enough 'good ones' (if I recall correctly, I took at least 150 pics). The day after the wedding, I anxiously took the film to a one-hour photo developer hoping for the best but fearing the worst. I got the 'best', considering the circumstances. There were a lot of good shots and they were surprisingly well composed.

I ended up picking what I thought were the best shots and putting them into a wedding album. I gave them the album and all of the other shots as an additional wedding gift and they were thrilled with the results, especially considering it was gratis. They even told me that when they showed the pics to friends and family, some asked who had done their photography. A little planning and a bit of luck had gone a long way for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

But yeah, it was a HUGE burden to be responsible for capturing their wedding. Thankfully, it turned out well

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 8
So this morning the groom called me to let me know the logistics of the wedding, and also to tell me they got a family friend to dj the wedding for a sweet deal!!!

I'm a bit relieved to say the least!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back