Need Advice: PCDP For XP-7, e5c, ER-4P
Jan 27, 2004 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

cmascatello

500+ Head-Fier
The thread title pretty much says it all. I have a 30GB iPod that I use as my primary travel source. The 4Ps have been my main earphone for about a year now and I have had the e5c set for about a month. I just picked up a used Emmeline XP-7 with stock AD825 op amps in it and really like the change of pace and improvement over the Super Mini I have had for 6 months. I also ordered AD797s for the XP-7 to try a little op amp rolling to a favorite of the forums.

I am looking for a PCDP that provides the best line out sound quality to be used in combination with the XP-7. I travel 3-5 times a month and routinely set up camp in cities for 5-7 days at a time. My intention is to bring the Emmeline with me on these longer trips to set up a "home system away from home". I would bring the PCDP for these occasions as well. I am less interested in battery life and add-ons like FM tuners and maxed-out shock protection. My goal is to find a PCDP that has near component-level sound quality and possibly the ability to play MP3 CDs (although this is not a necessity).

I have done some research in the forums and have come up with the following models:

iRiver 550
Sony NE-1
Sony EJ2000
Panasonic 570 (don't think this has line out)

I would very much appreciate input and advice in this search. It has been a decade since I purchased a Discman but I know there are many here who have been through all the best manufacturers and models. Please feel free to add any models I may have missed as well.

Jan 27, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 2
I have the 570 and would recommend it highly as a portable. I have used it on the road for quite some time and have been very satisfied. BTW it does have a line out. Never heard the other ones on your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back