Need Advice On What Amp To Buy
Dec 10, 2006 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jo6Pak

100+ Head-Fier
I will be receiving my new Senn HD595s (50 ohm) in a few days and also contemplating a dedicated amp for them. I will be using the new cans mostly for pop/rock/metal CDs. Rather than run them thru my somewhat low-end Yamaha HT Receiver, I am of the mind that a dedicated amp may give better performance. Since this is basically experimental, I would like to stay under US$200. I do not need it to be portable. I never listen to portables. I will be vegging out on the sofa with the volume cranked, most likely in the dark. I am considering the Little Dot II++. I have also looked at th Sonic Impact Super-T and a couple models in my price range from Firestone Audio (Cute/etc).

I would appreciate some recommendations from those of you that have already been down this path.

THANKS!

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be receiving my new Senn HD595s (50 ohm) in a few days and also contemplating a dedicated amp for them. I will be using the new cans mostly for pop/rock/metal CDs. Rather than run them thru my somewhat low-end Yamaha HT Receiver, I am of the mind that a dedicated amp may give better performance. Since this is basically experimental, I would like to stay under US$200. I do not need it to be portable. I never listen to portables. I will be vegging out on the sofa with the volume cranked, most likely in the dark. I am considering the Little Dot II++. I have also looked at th Sonic Impact Super-T and a couple models in my price range from Firestone Audio (Cute/etc).

I would appreciate some recommendations from those of you that have already been down this path.

THANKS!

Orignal masters. Portaphile 2V2..

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you looking for portables or desktop amp?

It would be for use with a home audio CD player. NOT for portables or computers.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You honestly do not need an amp for the HD595s. Very little difference amp vs ampless for these headphones. They're quite efficient.

I'm afraid i'd have to disagree, COMPLETELY. Thing is everyone keep saying you dont need an amp for the HD595 cause it's only 50ohms and other people keep spreading this rumour. The truth is amping DOES make a difference in HD595. I amped mine with a LD2+ and the difference in sound was just spectacular: bass got way more prevalent and highs got a bit extended. The midrange, however, improved the most and the whole sound was totally different.

So yes, you can efficiently drive the HD595 out of your computer/mp3 player, but "efficiently" simply means whether it's loud enough. And a well-matched amp boosts the phones' weak spots.

Nonetheless, im not suggesting Ld2+ here cause it's known to have arcing or flashing problems. I'm currently waiting for the LD2++ and will write my impression on it once it gets here next week.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid i'd have to disagree, COMPLETELY. Thing is everyone keep saying you dont need an amp for the HD595 cause it's only 50ohms and other people keep spreading this rumour. The truth is amping DOES make a difference in HD595. I amped mine with a LD2+ and the difference in sound was just spectacular: bass got way more prevalent and highs got a bit extended. The midrange, however, improved the most and the whole sound was totally different.

So yes, you can efficiently drive the HD595 out of your computer/mp3 player, but "efficiently" simply means whether it's loud enough. And a well-matched amp boosts the phones' weak spots.

Nonetheless, im not suggesting Ld2+ here cause it's known to have arcing or flashing problems. I'm currently waiting for the LD2++ and will write my impression on it once it gets here next week.

Your ears are much better than mine then. A LDM+ only tightened the bass and increased sound stage by a little bit. Even with my Hornet the change wasn't "OMG...These are totally better phones!" It just did the same things the LDM+, but to a better degree with a little higher resolution. Still wasn't anything impressive. Maybe the story is different with a home amp or the fact the LD2++ is a tube amp, dunno. Those are the only two amps I tried it with, both of which I didn't think it really added that much. Better, yes...marginally. YMMV.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your ears are much better than mine then. A LDM+ only tightened the bass and increased sound stage by a little bit. Even with my Hornet the change wasn't "OMG...These are totally better phones!" It just did the same things the LDM+, but to a better degree with a little higher resolution. Still wasn't anything impressive. Maybe the story is different with a home amp or the fact the LD2++ is a tube amp, dunno. Those are the only two amps I tried it with, both of which I didn't think it really added that much. Better, yes...marginally. YMMV.

Yes, i agree. When i amped it with a LDM+, i noticed no change at all, except for the widened soundstage. Driving it with a LD2+, however, was a totally different story. I think only tube amps do these phones justice.
cool.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would second the Original Master. (I also own the Headfive, and think the Original Master is slightly superior and cost $50 less.)

Anybody got a link to more info on this item (specs/where to buy/etc)?

THANKS!

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody got a link to more info on this item (specs/where to buy/etc)?

THANKS!

Hi

I bought the 595's a couple of weeks ago. I was going to go with the Original master but with future can upgrades in mind I've gone with the Heed CanAmp at £250 ($400 roughly)..

But Original Master would certainly be my second choice.. Send an e-mail to Snowy Law at info@cattylink.com.. Best person to order from.. You will most likely get a quote (OM + Shipping etc) in an e-mail with a link to use Paypal.

Edit: Oh there are many threads giving reviews/info/opinions on the Original Master.. A couple are,

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...riginal+master

and

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...riginal+master

Dec 11, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 16
I bought my Original Master from the US distributor, Ping Gong at AAA-Audio. (www.aaa-audio.com) He was very pleasant to deal with and I suspect if you live in the States you will get the amp a lot quicker than through Snowy Law, who is based in Hong Kong.

Dec 12, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my Original Master from the US distributor, Ping Gong at AAA-Audio. (www.aaa-audio.com) He was very pleasant to deal with and I suspect if you live in the States you will get the amp a lot quicker than through Snowy Law, who is based in Hong Kong.

Thanks I appreciate the info...

Dec 12, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 16
Well, I heard back from my email to Ping. He says $200 + $15 and will ship upon receipt of payment. Same ballpark as the LDII++. One is tube, the other solid state. Both have gotten rave recommendations on this forum. How do I decide?

THANKS!

PS-HD595 w/home audio components will be primary, if not only application.

Dec 12, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 16
Problem solved! For the time being, anyway.

Ping just made me a $190 shipped offer on an Original Master, and I jumped on it.

Hopefully it will not be a long wait as it is shipping from the US.

STeve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back