Need advice on upgrading iPod-based system to PC-based one
Mar 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

moogman

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

I’m planning to use my Sony Vaio as the main source and already have a 1TB external HDD containing Apple Lossless files which I load onto my iPod. My current headphone setups are as follows:

IPod 5G (60GB) -> GQ-24 LOD -> Voyager -> HD595/CX300
Pioneer PD-S703 -> NAD3020i -> HD595

After researching here for weeks (!) I’ve come up with the following upgrade plan over the next 2 years:

Phase 1
Buy DacMagic for USB output from Vaio and optical from PD-S703. DacMagic to be connected to the Voyager until Phase 2. I’m assuming the optical out from PD-S703 would be better than USB from Vaio – is this a valid assumption?

Unfortunately my Vaio doesn’t have optical out. Is there an adaptor which would convert USB to optical and would this compromise sound quality compared to a laptop with dedicated optical out? (Phase 5 might have to be a new laptop!)

The manual for the PD-S703 warns of possible incompatibilities of its optical out with some amp inputs (it doesn’t elaborate). Does anyone know if this would be compatible with the DacMagic? Would digital coax-out give the same SQ?

Phase 2
Retain Voyager for portable use only and buy a Solo MC/intro. Would this be overkill if I were only able to use USB -> DAC?

Phase 3
Replace HD595 with HD650.

Phase 4
Buy PSU1 for Solo

Music preferences are, in order: electronic, classical, rock and jazz.

Do you think I’m upgrading items in the right order?

Sorry for all the questions but I don’t have the money to experiment much and want to get it right first time. Any opinions welcome!
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back