Need advice on upgrading from Portapros
Dec 21, 2008 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

partysnatcher

100+ Head-Fier
Hi.

I have been an avid Portapro user for years. It's not a decision or choice that I have put a lot of effort into, but they are cheap, sound great, and so I have had several pairs for music at work, gaming, etc., for the last years.

I had some old (mid 1990s) AKG K-300 monitors lying in the attic from when I used to make some music at home, and I've been trying them again for the last weeks. I'm torn! They have a lot of detail and clarity, but when I put on my PortaPros for the first time in months, I was really happy to hear the solid, warm bass/low mid in my ears again.

Anyway:

I have some money to spend on sound now (say.. $200-500) and I wondered if anyone can tell me if there are headphones with more precision and detail, that manage to keep some of the warmth of the Portapros. If there's something to gain on earbuds, I will definitely consider that. If not, I was thinking of open headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance for any answers!
icon10.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 7
I've been reading around on the SR-60s, some people say they are almost "too warm", but the headphone buyers guide sticky above claims they are "lacking in bass". Is this as contradictory as it sounds in my uneducated head?

I have found a pair of nicely used 325is for sale, but they are described in the guide as aggressive and sharp, which is not what I am looking for at all. Is this truth? I've found reviews that claim 325i's have warmth, and some reports saying they are disappointed with their bass response with users anxious for them to be "broken in" in hope of getting more bass..

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 7
No takers?
tongue.gif

I just want a big soundstage and warm, detailed headphones. I want an upgrade from my Portapros without venturing into the scientifically sterile land of flat monitors.

Like I said, I looked at SR-60s, and they have a good rumour as a "beginner headphone", so I'm definitely looking in that direction - if they can be considered an upgrade from Portapro.

I listen to a lot of underground techno/electronic, ie with a grainy, lo-fi sound with emphasis on everything up to low mids (not that it sounds like it's made on an 80s cassette player, there are a lot of "treble-based" songs as well, but since the music is often made with digital instruments, it usually gets very plastic and boring with too much high frequency focus).

I have some money to spend, so don't be shy in recommending your personal favorite, if you have the time
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 7
I have a pair of Portapros and also SR80s. The SR80s give a lot more detail and a tighter bass, although the Portapros have more bass. I enjoy the portapro as a portable headphone and the SR80 in a quieter environment.

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm astonished no one has left you any advice here.

Your request is perfect -- warmth and speed/detail in a $200-$500 headphone.

I'm assuming you'll be running these direct from a computer/ipod, right? We're all crazy about amps and external soundcards 'round these parts, and we'll happily spend your entire budget and vibration-control devices and contact cleaner if you're not careful.

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 7
I like Grados as an upgrade to the Portapro. Where the Grados might lack in bass quantity to some listeners (especially coming from a Portapro), it brings more control, tight and punchy in impact, and as such, does not overwhelm the presentation.

Where the Grados really shine against the Portapro is the detail, particularly with the mid- and high-extension they provide. One might find the Grados (I found this especially with the entry-level SR-60) to be a little bright and harsh at first listen, but with some time to get acclimated to the Grado sound, the Portapro sound becomes a bit congested in comparison.

Grados do not have a big soundstage, you are at the center of the stage. AKGs and Sennheisers are much better in that regard, but compared to the Portapro, it is an improvement.

The Grados handle all genres fairly well in my opinion. My HF-1 handles electronic well for my taste, I go back and forth between ambient, house and trance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back