Need advice on this build. Schiit Ragnarok with Gungnir with Senn.HD650.
Sep 6, 2015 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

cheesegrados

100+ Head-Fier
Does this look like a solid build?
Ragnarok amp, Gungnir MB DAC, and Sennheiser HD650?

top 3 headphone I'm considering to get.

1. Sennheier hd650
2. Audeze El-8 open
3. Hifiman He-400i

The Sennheiser hd650/Audeze.el8/he-400i would be a temporary fix, until I can afford something better down the line.

(Down the road I would like to get something from the Top of the Line headphones)

For now that is all my wallet can handle for now.

Please let me if I can do better in any ways. Looking forward to all advice, thanks!

Cost:

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Ragnarok 1699.00 bucks[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Gungnir 1249.00 bucks[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)][/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]A: sennheiser hd-650 about 400 bucks[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]B: Audeze 570-700 bucks[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]C: Hifiman He400i 425-500 bucks.[/color]

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 21
I'm pretty sure the HD650 is the one that scales the most out of those 3 so that would be my pick IF you like that sound signature. Have you listened to all 3 headphones? 

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 21
Yes I listened to the hd650. It was burrowed it from a friend like 5years ago. I don't remember much accept that it was very transparent I think.

I have not listen to the el-8.

I did try the he400 non I version with the Hifiman ef5 for a month and thought it was very good.

So you think the hd650 would scale? Then that would be my choice.

Do I need balance cables by any chance?

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #4 of 21
Just to be sure, I think you should try and demo some headphones in a store so you can get an idea of what sound signature you like the best. Also regarding your approach I think you might be doing it wrong. The audio setup is suposed to be build arround the headphone, not the other way arround. So instead of buying expensive DAC/amp and then add a flagship later on I think you should start with the headphone and then take it from there. 

I have heard both balanced and single-ended setups but I have never made a prober test so I don't think I'm entitled to comment on that 
smile.gif
 Some people claim there is a difference and some people say it's a gimmick. I think you should do a prober test yourself and trust your ears to make that decision. 

Other people will probably have a different opinion on this but this is what I think.

Regarding the HD650, I've heard alot of people say they scale alot with a good source. I have only heard them on a medicore setup myself so you might wanna ask another person for this. People claim that changing the cables will make them sound better, again, if this is true I have no idea.

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 21
  Just to be sure, I think you should try and demo some headphones in a store so you can get an idea of what sound signature you like the best. Also regarding your approach I think you might be doing it wrong. The audio setup is suposed to be build arround the headphone, not the other way arround. So instead of buying expensive DAC/amp and then add a flagship later on I think you should start with the headphone and then take it from there. 

I have heard both balanced and single-ended setups but I have never made a prober test so I don't think I'm entitled to comment on that 
smile.gif
 Some people claim there is a difference and some people say it's a gimmick. I think you should do a prober test yourself and trust your ears to make that decision. 

Other people will probably have a different opinion on this but this is what I think.

Regarding the HD650, I've heard alot of people say they scale alot with a good source. I have only heard them on a medicore setup myself so you might wanna ask another person for this. People claim that changing the cables will make them sound better, again, if this is true I have no idea.

True, you have a point. Let me rethink again i'll post what come up with.

How about beyerdynamic t1 first generation, or just wait for the next generation to come out.

I never tried beyerdynamic before. How good does it sound? What about the Fostex TH900 they're also close dynamic headphones.  

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #7 of 21
A cheap beyerdynamic t1 first generation for under $700 is a good value for what you get, I wouldn't think twice about getting one but I need to run them balanced so I am waiting for the next generation. Personally I would skip the TH900, they a have a nice cable and ear cups and look beautiful and their sound quality is decent at best, sadly they don't come with a detachable cable and I need to run them balanced and at their price $1299 I don't think I will ever get one.

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 21
A cheap beyerdynamic t1 first generation for under $700 is a good value for what you get, I wouldn't think twice about getting one but I need to run them balanced so I am waiting for the next generation. Personally I would skip the TH900, they a have a nice cable and ear cups and look beautiful and their sound quality is decent at best, sadly they don't come with a detachable cable and I need to run them balanced and at their price $1299 I don't think I will ever get one.

That is interesting. I'l do some research on geting one now.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 21
They were $699 a few days ago, HE-1000 a beautiful headphones but too expensive and will never get you too far in the sound department. For cheaper but nonetheless great headphones look for the AKG K712 Pro they cost about $299 on eBay and you can get beyerdynamic t1 second generation later and maybe you can run them balanced too.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #12 of 21
Take a chance man! They should perform to their best ability and eclipse the audio technica's and they look beautiful in black and orange too :) If you have headphones right now then it is better to wait a couple of months for the t1 2G to come out. But that AKG is a real beauty.

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 21
Does this look like a solid build?
Ragnarok amp, Gungnir MB DAC, and Sennheiser HD650?

$3000 on electronics and $400 on headphones.

No. That makes no sense to me.

There is a law of diminishing returns when it comes to electronics. You'll get more bang for your buck spending much more on headphones and much less than on electronics.

In fact, there are those in the sound science forum of head-fi that say that it's possible to buy a DAC/headphone amp that is accurate within the range of human hearing for far, far less than $3000. Spending more doesn't get you any significant improvements from that perspective, as long as the headphone amp is powerful enough to drive the headphones you use with it. Well, unless you want bragging rights over how much you spent.

And then think about features. Do you need the speaker outputs of the Ragnarok? Maybe you'd like some of the additional features that the Oppo HA-1 has (it's a combo DAC/amp); it has plenty of power to drive most headphones. Or maybe you want a tube headphone amp, since tubes can provide pleasurable distortion to the audio signal that many people liek? So you might want to do some research before allocating your budget that way and just throwing money at the electronics and assuming you are getting good value for your money because you have spent a lot.

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 21
That is excellent point. I guess i wander off too far into spending mode that thought spending more means better and better. Guess not.  I will have to rethink my builds.  What are the best bang for the buck? If my budget is around 3800 what can i get?

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #15 of 21
$3000 on electronics and $400 on headphones.

No. That makes no sense to me.

There is a law of diminishing returns when it comes to electronics. You'll get more bang for your buck spending much more on headphones and much less than on electronics.

In fact, there are those in the sound science forum of head-fi that say that it's possible to buy a DAC/headphone amp that is accurate within the range of human hearing for far, far less than $3000. Spending more doesn't get you any significant improvements from that perspective, as long as the headphone amp is powerful enough to drive the headphones you use with it. Well, unless you want bragging rights over how much you spent.

And then think about features. Do you need the speaker outputs of the Ragnarok? Maybe you'd like some of the additional features that the Oppo HA-1 has (it's a combo DAC/amp); it has plenty of power to drive most headphones. Or maybe you want a tube headphone amp, since tubes can provide pleasurable distortion to the audio signal that many people liek? So you might want to do some research before allocating your budget that way and just throwing money at the electronics and assuming you are getting good value for your money because you have spent a lot.

Very good point! The source and Amp cost too much. There is always a balance ay to spend the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back