Need advice on these IEMs.
Sep 23, 2009 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

The_Blood_Raven

100+ Head-Fier
Hello I am looking to upgrade from my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pros and have narrowed down myself to 3 IEMs, but I need help on a final decision and I have some questions. Please correct any of my points for me encase I misinterpreted something from a review. For the record I listen to rock, heavy metal, metal, trance, and dubstep. Also note that I have listened to my Super.fi 5 Pros and my Etymotic ER-6s a lot as a reference, also note that I spent a good deal of time with a friend's pair of ER-4Ps. (Or the ER-4S, the one that comes with the cable that increases impedance)

Victor HP-FX500:

(Note all this is from a lot of research and not firsthand experience)

Pros:
-Very good texture thanks to the wooden design.
-Fast, expressive bass that is supposed to be very tight and controlled.
-Very detailed, but not enough to totally shame a bad recording.
-Good tips and no complaints about comfort.
-Low impedance which is nice considering the variation of my sources' quality.

Cons:
-Possibly shrill and harsh with musics like mine with cymbals and such.
-Slightly repressed mid range
-Possible durability issues

Comments:
The reviewer over at Touchmyapps.com said that they don't isolate sound all that well. My UEs don't either so I'm not worried about it, since I can't get them to actually seal
mad.gif
. However I am confused whether he said these were of an "open" design where the sound from the IEMs would leak out like in full sized cans or earbuds. Any ideas?

Sleek Audio SA6:

(Again no firsthand experience)

Pros:
-Loved the ER-4s tri-flanged tips.
-Good balance of high, mid, and lows.
-Can be configured to suit preferences.

Cons:
-Configuration is a bit gimmicky to me, though I also understand it.
-High impedance, 50 Ohms, which is about as high as I can go.
-No real "personality" or advantage over my current IEMs, except the configuration.

Comments:
I like these as well and I have no real problem with them, that I know of. I assume that with the customization I will get a sound I like from them, but it may not be the best out of these three options. Also, with the Base+ port with the hole, will the possible "openness" of the HP-FX500 (music being heard from around the listener) be a problem?

Sennheiser IE7:

(Very little first hand experience, thought I listened to them once but it was the IE8s which are far out of my price range.)

Pros:
-Low impedance.
-Many people praise it for comfort.
-Great midrange with a lot of detail.
-Decent bass.
-A good variety of tips.

Cons:
-A possible weak high end.
-Nothing all that new with the low end
-Questionable superiority over the other IEMs in this comparison, I hear it is good but I never hear a straight answer why.

Comments:
I am not sure a weak high end is good for me since all of my reference IEMs, which I like, have great high ends. But it might not be a deal breaker since the IE7 is supposed to excel in mid range which is where most of the sound is, again I have no real explanation of HOW it excels. I also personally liked the fit of the IE8s, though I didn't listen to them enough to get a feel for their sound sadly. Since there is a port in the back of the Sennheisers, will they have the same possible problem as the other ones in this comparison, I know this is likely a stupid question but I have never had IEMs with ports and I like to be anonymous about my music.

Thank you for your time, it is greatly appreciated.

P.S. If you have any PC problems then head over to Tomsharware.com and I'll help, same name.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 4
By the way, I am upgrading from my Super.fi 5 Pros because I can't get a good fit with them and I don't like the lack of instrument separation and how slow the bass can be at times, if that helps.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 4
I don't know the budget you have for new buy but some other IEMs are great for these genres like Klipsch Custom 3, PFE and Shure SE420........

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 4
Sorry it took so long, but after some research none of those options, Custom 3s, PFEs, E420s, do it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back