Need Advice on second headphone!
Jun 30, 2014 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MoWe

Head-Fier
Hi guys!

Currently I have a TMA-1 DJ which I really like. I now want to get myself a second headphone with different characteristics to complement the TMA-1. It would be nice if it is possible to get a closed back, because I'm using it a lot in the train.

I'm listening to Metal (Metallica, Clawfinger, Soil, Disturbed), classic Rock (Rolling Stones), Hip Hop (Run DMC, Sexion D'Assaut, Wu-Tang Clan), electronic (Daft Punk) and so on.

As far as I understand it, a fast headphone would be a good addition to the sound of the TMA-1?!?

What could you recommend?

Cheers,

MoWe

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 8
Budget its around 250€.

Sound signature: I don't know. I like my TMA-1 but I would like something clearer, with more sparkle for Metal and rock.

I listen through Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and MacBook Pro with Fiio E07K.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Just tried the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and ATH M50.

The Beyer sounded good but it started hurting on my head after about 15min.

The ATH was much more comfortable and sounded a little bit better to my ears but it felt a little sharp in the high frequencies.

I don't know, if the ATH sounded that way because I'm so used to the Aiaiai.

I've also ordered the V-Moda M100 from Amazon to try them out because there is not one store in Hamburg, where you could try them!

We will see!

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 8
Ok. Got the V-Moda today.

First impression: wow, they are small when packaged and comfy on the head even though I were glasses.

Sound is much more open than I though after reading the review. It's not at all as dark as the Aiaiai and the highs are much more pleasing than they where with the ATH M50.

I will listen to some more music tomorrow but for now, Eminem, Kimbra and Guns N' Roses sounded very nice.

I haven't compared them directly to my TMA-1 as of now!

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Today I listened to both headphones through my Fiio E07K for comparison.

The M100 has a much cleaner high section but seems cold on songs from Adele for example. It doesn't sound bad at all but the TMA-1 has a warmer nicer presentation of her voice.

The opposite is true for Mick Jagger, which I enjoyed much more on the M100.

The drive and clarity I get when playing AC/DC Thunderstruck or Sweet Child of Mine from Guns N' Roses sounds perfect to my ears.

Slower music like Susanne Vega and the Verve Collections of Jazz sound warmer and like they have more body with the TMA-1.

What struck me while I was comparing both, was how much more comfortable the M100 are compared to the Aiaiai. I used them about 3 hours non stop today and they just don't hurt… I'm leaning towards the M100 just solely for the comfort...

Any Ideas about an alternative?

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 8
So, TMA-1 is sold and M-100 stays with me! I'm enjoying m new headphone!

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #8 of 8
Good choice! Also remember, the M-100 can be even more comfortable with the addition of the XL pads. This also makes the sound slightly warmer, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back