Need advice on reasonably-priced movie headphones emphasizing comfort, bass, and soundstage...
Aug 15, 2013 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cloudcover

New Head-Fier
hi there -

i'm in the market for a pair of wired headphones for late night movie viewing when others are asleep.  i'm looking for full-sized headphones (on ear or over ear) -- not iems.  sound isolation doesn't matter too much so closed, semi-closed, or open would all work fine.  my main criteria are comfort, a good amount of low bass (for movie effects, etc), and good soundstage.  i'm hoping to spend around $50 +/-, though i don't have a hard price budget and am willing to spend up to about $100 if that really gets me a noticeably better result.

i've tried the panasonic rp-htf600, which have the bass i want and seem to have pretty decent soundstage, but i find them kind of uncomfortable, they seem like they might get damaged pretty easily, and the high end sounds a bit harsh to me.  that all being said, i find myself liking them more than i'd expect.  i also have a pair of koss porta pros, which sound pretty good...who knows, maybe that's my best option.

but i've been reading through the forum and am intrigued by the jvc ha-s500, which seems to be getting some pretty glowing reviews.  i'd pull the trigger but there seem to be complaints about comfort and that's a big issue for me.  it sounds like the jvc ha-s400 and rx-700 also are well-liked, but i don't have a good sense for whether they'd be better than the ha-s500. the philips citiscape downtown also look interesting (supposedly good comfort, etc) and are attractively priced.

or maybe there's some other eadphone that i'm not thinking about that would be a better choice.  i don't mind making some modifications, if necessary, as long as they're not too complicated.

any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 3
Koss Porta Pro ($49)

Sennheiser PX 100-IIi ($89)

Philips Citiscape Downtown ($99)

Read more here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 3
Sennheiser HD439 is what you're looking for. They are very comfortable for long periods of time, your ears won't sweat or get too hot, and the soundstage is phenomenal. The bass isn't emphasized like beats, but it's realistic and good for movies, crisp and clear as well. The only problem is they aren't like V-Modas where you can throw them around. This headphones are durable, but if you're like me, dropping them on the floor to rush out of your room is not a good idea. My headband snapped so it's not snug on my ears. These are made with a very lightweight but durable plastic in order to be such comfortable headphones. And they're in your budget. Try them out! You won't be disappointed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back