Need Advice on Portable Headphones
Aug 11, 2008 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

WiredCon

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using Shure 530 for the last fewmonths (on and off, since I'm not too much of a fan of in-ear phones) on iPhone and couple of other portable devices. I'm getting tired of having an in-ear type phones.

Now, I'd like to buy a pair of on-ear type headphones that can satisfy the following:

1. Sound must be fun. Personally, I dont care if the sound is colored, or not. I want it to be fun to listen to.

2. It must be light in weight and portable. I will be carrying it around and use it on macbook pro, iphone, and a few other portable devices depending on the ocassion.

3. It has to be somewhat durable. Since I will just throw it inside of my backpack,

I'm about to purchase a pair of on-ear headphones from Bose. I'd like to know if there's any other alternatives that I should consider for the money?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 14
Bose is not good value. I would consider Grados SR-60 if you listen to rock, although they do not isolate sound well they are very "fun" for rock music if that's what you mostly listen to. They are also easy to drive from portable devices. Light weight supraaural design. I don't know about durability for throwing it inside backpack, but they aren't just going to fly apart.

Do not buy bose

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 14
Not sure how much the on-ear phones of Bose are, but given your criteria I'd take a good look at the Audio Technica ES7 or Ultrasone HFI680 or HFI780. They're fun, light weight (esp. the ES7) and somewhat durable (esp. the Ultrasones). The ES7 is probably more fun (and look really snazzy), but the Ultrasones are probably the ones with the better SQ and better isolation. They're also more expensive. Can't go wrong with any of them, really, and they don't need amplification (although they do benefit from it).

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 14
Those Ultrasone and the Grado are huge for portable use. The AT is better in that regard, but IMO still big for portable use. I suggest you to get a Portapro, light weight, steel headband, lifetime warranty by them no questions asked, and it sounds better than all IEM's I have heard and owned...but if isolation is a must, they are over the ears...

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 14
ATH-ESW9 .... amazing portable headphones, I don't know of a better pair. They also look better then any other portable

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wcp6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose is not good value.

Do not buy bose

I love the reiteration. :)

triportsad.gif
Look, even our only sad headphone wearing icon is wearing Triports. Ha!

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the kind advices. My budget is $200, since I can get a pair of Bose around $170-$180 after tax.

I would love to try out AT ESW lines, but I dont know of any places that might carry in Phoenix,AZ.

Like Sovkiller said, Ultrasones are a bit too big for me to carry it around. I don't mind open cans, since I have a pair of Shure530 for places where I need to keep myself isolated.

It seems like ESW7 would be a good choice, considering its price as well as its fun sound signiture. Now, only if I can find a place where I can demo, that would be super.

By the way, speaking of sound quality of being fun to listen, is Bose's on-ear phone is that bad?

Once again, I really appreciate your advices.

Thanks,
Ryan

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by WiredCon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the kind advices. My budget is $200, since I can get a pair of Bose around $170-$180 after tax.

I would love to try out AT ESW lines, but I dont know of any places that might carry in Phoenix,AZ.

Like Sovkiller said, Ultrasones are a bit too big for me to carry it around. I don't mind open cans, since I have a pair of Shure530 for places where I need to keep myself isolated.

It seems like ESW7 would be a good choice, considering its price as well as its fun sound signiture. Now, only if I can find a place where I can demo, that would be super.

By the way, speaking of sound quality of being fun to listen, is Bose's on-ear phone is that bad?

Once again, I really appreciate your advices.

Thanks,
Ryan

Get the ESW from Amazon.com! Great price great service

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 14
Igrado is durable and great sounding. You can get them for $45. Before spending $200 on a portable try these. Much, MUCH better value than the Bose (Imho)

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 14
The portapros come to mind. They are very durable. I finally relented and bought a case, but I used to just toss 'em in my backpack, and to put it kindly I was less than gentle in my handling of said backpack. Plus, if you're concerned about durability, koss has a lifetime warranty. Tough to top that.

The sound IS colored. Bass is emphasized. I'm not sure how many people have picked up on this, but the last time I got a new pair (replacement under warranty), Koss definitely changed the sound signature. They made an effort to offer a slightly "brighter" sound. They didn't really brighten the high end of the treble range; instead, the upper end of the midrange sounds a bit brighter, so the 'phones sound a bit less dark overall.

For $34, it's still a steal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WiredCon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using Shure 530 for the last fewmonths (on and off, since I'm not too much of a fan of in-ear phones) on iPhone and couple of other portable devices. I'm getting tired of having an in-ear type phones.

Now, I'd like to buy a pair of on-ear type headphones that can satisfy the following:

1. Sound must be fun. Personally, I dont care if the sound is colored, or not. I want it to be fun to listen to.

2. It must be light in weight and portable. I will be carrying it around and use it on macbook pro, iphone, and a few other portable devices depending on the ocassion.

3. It has to be somewhat durable. Since I will just throw it inside of my backpack,

I'm about to purchase a pair of on-ear headphones from Bose. I'd like to know if there's any other alternatives that I should consider for the money?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound IS colored. Bass is emphasized. I'm not sure how many people have picked up on this, but the last time I got a new pair (replacement under warranty), Koss definitely changed the sound signature. They made an effort to offer a slightly "brighter" sound. They didn't really brighten the high end of the treble range; instead, the upper end of the midrange sounds a bit brighter, so the 'phones sound a bit less dark overall.

For $34, it's still a steal.

I have the latest of the incarnations, and honestly they are not that bad, to me they are a way better than a lot of others that are constantly in all those recommendations...

Sep 24, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #13 of 14
I understand where the OP is coming from in regards to the Bose on ear, very handy size and reasonable sound quality, although at $180 they are a little over priced. I'm not sure I would describe their sound as "fun" either. There are very few fons that are as small and non-invasive as the Bose OE, however I would say if you want portable "fun", similar size and portability, then purchase Sen PX100. If you want better sound, then ES7 or better still ESW7, which are larger but in reality probably no less portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back