Need advice on PCDP with optical out
Oct 10, 2004 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tigger

500+ Head-Fier
I'm in the middle of putting together a high rez portable system.
So far the components are:

HeadRoom Traveler bag
Sony D-NE10 PCDP
AOS Picollo DAC
Headphone amp !!
2 x 12v Lithium Ion rechargeable battery packs, one for the amp and one for the DAC

My problem lies with the Sony PCDP. I really dislike the fact the direct access buttons are on the bottom of the player, and the line-out/ optical out is recessed in such a way that many cables won't fit.
Oh yeah, and I hate the fiddly remote.
Bottom line; this player is going back so I need some recommendations for alternatives.
So far I have looked at Panasonic CT810 Japanese model and iRiver IMP550.
Again the player must have easily accessable direct access buttons and have a digital out.
Any suggestions/recommendations would be welcome :)

Oct 10, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 10
i have the dilema too. first off i need mp3 player backs, so things like dej2000 are out. true line out is a must.

the dne10 have pseudo line out i think, and you need to take off the remote to even use it.

iriver imp550, which i have now, has line out, but isnt very great sounding in my book. it use remote so i dont know if that fit your "easily access buttons" requirement.

panasonic, only the japense version has line out, but cant fforward with mp3.

i think i have to get the dne1 again. the dne1 do have digital out, i'm not sure if its only for conecting with minidisc players though.

eagle_driver should be here soon.

Oct 10, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 10
tigger,

Unless you're willing to import directly from Japan or Europe, scratch the Panasonic from your list. The version of the SL-CT810 sold in the US and Canada has no line out or optical out at all, whatsoever: The only output jack of the North American SL-CT810 is the headphone out - not even a pseudo line out - stuck in headphone out mode.

Oct 10, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 10
Unless you need MP3 playback, the D-EJ2000 would be my choice as a present-day optical transport. Also, the Sony MP3 PCDP's don't output MP3/ATRAC songs via optical. The iRivers do I know, not sue about Panasonic.

Oct 10, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
tigger,

Unless you're willing to import directly from Japan or Europe, scratch the Panasonic from your list. The version of the SL-CT810 sold in the US and Canada has no line out or optical out at all, whatsoever: The only output jack of the North American SL-CT810 is the headphone out - not even a pseudo line out - stuck in headphone out mode.

I did mention in my post the Japanese model :) I realize the North American version has no line/digital out. I would order from Audio Cubes.

D-EJ2000 is a current model? Not in Canada eh!

Oct 10, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Still though, the D-NE series doesn't output optically with the remote plugged in (it's the same jack) and so the 900 would be better than the 10.

As for the 2000, there are like a quadrillion on ebay, pick one up, they're awesome.

Thanks, I'm off to cruise eBay then........................

And the deed is done! A D-EJ2000 is on it's way.

Thanks for the input folks.
rs1smile.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 10
Welcome to the class of 2000!
biggrin.gif

While you're at it, I wonder how the Sony sounds with a Headsave Classic and Alessandros?
tongue.gif

I still use the fiddly silver remote, as I find the electro-luminescent green display strangely comforting... also, it's a little safer than plugging in a straight Grado plug into the player body (vs. a headphone L-plug design).

The D-EJ2000 is ridiculously thin and light. Happy listening.

Oct 11, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 10
The D-EJ200 is redunkulously thin and light. And sounds real nuetral (notoriously good sony redbook quality applies here). I am a firm beleiver in a nuetral source - all the 'fun' should be coming out of your headphones, (or headphone + amp, or eq if you are into that sorta thing). The D-EJ200 is nuetral and very clean. My only gripe is that the remote isnt that well thought out (read: not too intuitive), and it adds an extra wire to my setup. I got mine for ~$120 and it was well worth the money though. I would pay $200 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back