Need advice on notebook based sound system
Sep 4, 2008 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tequila

New Head-Fier
I recently started university and am living in dorms. As such I am on a tight budget but would still like to improve on the sound quality of my notebook. The notebook is a IBM Thinkpad T42. I would like to have the option of hooking up some speakers in the future as I have an unused T amp. At the moment I am using a Sennheiser HD 201 plugged into the headphone in. I have used the search function but all I gathered from that was that my best option might be using an external sound card. I Don't know whether my budget will stretch that far.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 5
A USB DAC/Amp would be a decent solution. Something like a used iBasso D1 or a B-stock Headroom Total BitHead might be in your budget.At least with the D1 you can use it as a standalone DAC and feed your T-amp. I am not sure this can be done with the BitHead amp.

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm not sure you'll notice much of a step up in SQ if you put a amp/DAC between the Thinkpad and the HD201s. So, if you're on a tight budget, buy nothing. Wait till you get better cans. IMO, and those of many others here, the headphones and sound files you play (e.g., mp3 v. FLAC) are the most significant factors.

Sep 7, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for your replies. If I were to buy a dac/amp I could start using my T-amp and HD201 while saving up for better headphones.

What is a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro like and could this be an option for me ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back