Need advice on new set of cans (coming from e2c's)
Sep 27, 2006 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jschwetz

New Head-Fier
Well... Only because the right channel broke on the e2c's... They are currently in for repair. Now that I have your attention, I need some advice.
tongue.gif
---

I currently own a pair of shure e2c's which I purchased just over a year ago. These headphones were my first pair of decent headphones, and I have absolutely loved them since. I am currently using them with my 5g Ipod through the headphone jack. I might get a line out if it will increase the sound quality significantly.

I have started looking into buying a pair of full-size headphones to use for more serious listening. One of the biggest concerns I have is getting a pair of headphones which will be comfortable enough for extended listening sessions. I considered the Grado SR60s and SR80s for a while, but eventually decided they weren't for me because of the numerous complaints of their poor comfort. This is something that is really important to me, as I can't stand wearing uncomfortable headphones, so the circumaural type are probably most suited to me.

I listen to an eclectic mixture of music, including everything from progressive death metal to jazz, and classical. I would prefer to have something that would be able to handle any kind of music I throw at it, rather than have something that is only suited to one specific genre of music. I don't have a headphone amp, but I am planning on buying a relatively inexpensive portable, such as the go-vibe v5 to complement my headphones if necessary.

I have a fairly flexible budget, but I would like to stay under $250 for the entire setup, if at all possible. I was looking at the Beyerdynamics DT990s after hearing so many good reviews, but I don't think the price is going to drop into my range anytime soon, and I missed the recent deal at B&H. The Senn HD 595 are a possibility, and they look really comfortable as well. I really want to be impressed with these headphones, and I am willing to spend a little bit more if it is necessary. What are your recommendations for me?

Summary:
Want open, circumaural cans
Must be comfortable
I will be getting a ~$100 portable amp if necessary
Source: ipod 5g (might get a line out if necessary)
Must be suitable for Metal, Jazz, and Classical
$250 Budget total

Sep 27, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 5
I would like to address the "Grado comfort legend" if I may.

.....this is cool cause there are two threads going on right now on this particular subject!
smily_headphones1.gif

The general consensus seems to be that "if" you like the Grado "Sound" and can do a bit of pad rolling, then Grados ARE in fact quite comfortable! Really!!

I, for instance, found that reversed Sennheiser HD 414 pads on my Alessandro MS-1s transformed my cans into luxurious earmuffs capable of delivering tunes on demand. My new Alessandro MS2i with bowls, allowed me to easily do a fourteen hour "re-discovery" marathon of my rock CD collection. And now that I have added an amp to my system; I am digging just as deeply into the classical side of my musical collection.

The MS-1 may be a good choice for you. They sell for $99, and will do just about everything you ask for but the "biggest" of the big classical pieces if an amp is used. For most everything else but the big classical stuff they do a pretty good job without an amp. My new MS2i with an amp does it all quite a bit better, but they sell for $299 new.

Anyway; don't let the comfort question surrounding Grado phones be the one topic that scares you away. It's a subject that has managed to be blown way out of proportion to the reality that seems to be becoming evident.

If a person likes the Grado or Alessandro sound, the inner ears will be happy and and the outers will probably happily adapt!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 5
The pair of SR-225s I have got pretty comfortable once the bowl pads conformed to my ears more or less.

Sep 27, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the replies. I read the other two threads regarding the comfort of the Grados, and I must say that I was under a wrong impression. I had believed that most people simply chose to put up with the minor discomfort because they liked the sound so much. I will also note, though that I still would prefer a circumaural headphone.

I have tried the several headphones of the type that sit on top of your ear, and I did not enjoy wearing any of them. Can anyone who doesn't like the Grados please explain why, and what bothers you about them? I am willing to sacrifice a little bit in terms of price for greater comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back