Need advice on my DAC / amp dilemma !
Jan 19, 2016 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Saif

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Hoping you could help out with my current headfi dilemma.

I am a shameless basshead but before this site was sick and tired of the headphones that conpromise mids for some rumble.

So upon advice, I bought a fiio e07k and tracked a pair of sony xb700s

My experience is that they are ok when the fiio is set to maximum bass boost, but other than that arent terribly bassy and sound quite veiled.

So enter hawaiibadboys epic bass threads, and i am considering the JVC HA-SZ2000

Only issue is due to some impedence technicality i dont quite understand, i read that the e07k wont power them sufficiently but an e12 will

The thing is the e12 is not a DAC and I need a portable DAC for my laptop / android

Is it a good idea to purchase an e12 and use the e07k as a DAC only and have them linked together?

Is this even possible?

Or is it better to sell the e07k and buy something else with the money (around £200 / $285)

Thanks a lot for your help in advance

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 8
Also may I add that i am under the impression that a V moda m100 will be a good choice for more rounded bass orientated listening.

So i need a solution that will power both of these headphones.

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 8
I am a shameless basshead but before this site was sick and tired of the headphones that compromise mids for some rumble.
So upon advice, I bought a fiio e07k and tracked a pair of Sony xb700s
My experience is that they are ok when the fiio is set to maximum bass boost, but other than that aren't terribly bassy and sound quite veiled.
So enter hawaiibadboys epic bass threads, and i am considering the JVC HA-SZ2000
Only issue is due to some impedance technicality i don't quite understand, i read that the e07k wont power them sufficiently but an e12 will
The thing is the e12 is not a DAC and I need a portable DAC for my laptop / android
Is it a good idea to purchase an e12 and use the e07k as a DAC only and have them linked together?
Is this even possible?
Or is it better to sell the e07k and buy something else with the money (around £200 / $285)

The JVC HA-SZ2000 are rated at 16-Ohms, which means a $27 FiiO E6 amp could drive them.
So not sure why anyone would tell you the FiiO E07K could not drive them.

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Something to do with output impedance being 1/8 of headphone impedance?
Forgive me, I'm quite new to all this

The 1/8 impedance (Ohm) guideline is more to do with audio quality, then driving headphones.
It's preferred to have the headphones to have 8 times (or more) the impedance of the source, they are plugged into, for better damping control.
The E07K has a less then 1-Ohm output impedance, so technically it's fine with any headphone that is around 8-Ohms or more.

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 8
Ok great. Thank you so much for your help. Since I've got your attention, what about the V-moda m100? Would you say the e07k is a good amp to drive those and will do them justice?

Thanks

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 8
Ok great. Thank you so much for your help. Since I've got your attention, what about the V-Moda m100? Would you say the E07K is a good amp to drive those and will do them justice?

Just about any amplifier can drive the V-Moda M100 headphones.
I would assume the E07K is about as good as anything else, in it's price range, for driving the M100 headphones.
If you wanted to try improving audio quality, over the E07K, I would say to get the FiiO X3 Gen II (X3K) DAP.
It can be used as a USB DAC/amp, with the laptop
and also as a standalone portable audio player, so just use the android phone for phone calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back