Need advice on IEMs
Jan 13, 2009 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GHWils

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using Sennheiser PX 100 headphones for 2nd gen iPod Touch (not amped), I like the 100's, a little boomy, sometimes tinny but overall pleased.

I've been looking to try IEMs, based on various reviews I keep coming back to Ety 4p, Shure 530, and UE Triple.fi also, q-Jays have been given high marks on iLounge but I don't see them mentioned here much.

I listen to mostly Jazz (instrumentals and vocal) and Rock as well, I do like a deep bass, but a tight, controlled one, not boomy hip-hop-subs-in-the-trunk type of bass.

Advice/Comments Appreciated

Geoff

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 5
If you like good bass, you may want to check out the Klipsch Image x10.

I love them for jazz and rock because they have a warm sound signature, clarity, separation, and great bass. Also, they are the most comfortable IEMs I have ever seen.

I think these will suit you more than the triple.fi, q-jays, and ety 4p. Also, they are much cheaper than the 530 and can be had for around $200 on Amazon.

Welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 5
Just be careful with the Shures. They do suffer from cable failure. Make sure you keep the receipt

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 5
If you like the PX-100 (as I do also), you might check out the IE8. It has all the good characteristics of the PX-100, but the bass is tight not boomy, the midrange is lush, and the high end is much improved over the PX-100. (This is based on my own personal experience, not just on what others have said.) It's really a great IEM, and if you like the Sennheiser sound (which I think the PX-100 exhibits), you might give it a try. You can even buy from a couple of the forum sponsors on 30-day trial.
happy_face1.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by GHWils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . . q-Jays have been given high marks on iLounge . . . .

iLounge is a great source for most things iPod-related, but I've learned that they really don't have the best ears. Here's two examples: (1) They claim that the new iPods' Cirrus DAC is more audiophile-grade than the older Wolfson DACs, while everyone else in the world would say the opposite. (2) Their review of the Bose QuietComfort 3 says it has "ear-pleasing bass." Those are ridiculously bass-heavy, and most Head-Fi members try to talk friends and family members out of buying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back