Need advice on how to "clean up" pictures?
Jul 19, 2005 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

saint.panda

Headphoneus Supremus
Can anybody tell me how to easily and quickly "clean up" pictures for galleries, reviews, etc.? For the following picture I would like to have the entire background white but since I'm pretty much a no-good when it comes to things like these, I only know how to use the eraser on MS paint, which takes an eternity to clean up the picture. Another thing is that I have about 25 pictures like that and would rather have it done more conveniently. Any programs or tricks of doing it in a smarter way than MS Paint...?

Thanks a lot!

9557150-5001_img.jpg

Jul 19, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 43
I would like to know too. I occasionally use Paint Shop Pro 9 or PhotoShop CS2 to edit pics, but I mainly stick to basic stuff like cropping and resizing because I am quickly overwhemled by all the tools and options you are presented with (this is especially true with the Adobe software). I'd love to learn layers and how to use all those tools/effects because you can do some VERY cool things with PhotoShop. I googled and stumbled upon an online guide, "Teach yourself PhotoShop in 10 Days" or something like that...I just need to find time to do it. I guess I could always just start playing around with stuff in PS (there's always Undo!
biggrin.gif
) but I'd still like to know how to do certain things like what you're trying to accomplish, or changing the color of a car without using the paintbrush, or chopping different wheels onto that car, etc.

Jul 19, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 43
Once again I'm completely off-topic...but if the picture here is the real deal I can't wait for your ultrasone review.
tongue.gif
Which one is it? The HFI-650?

Jul 19, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 43
use a sheet instead of parer. a bed cloth is fine. Try and find a window with clean bright northern light, or take the subject outside in tree shade during a lightly overcast day.

Then you wont need to erase the background.

you will also want to have someone hold a whit board or car winshield reflector to highlight the indentions in the face. Right now the face looks transparent.....if you add a bit of lighting it will look more natural and lifelike.

I was a commercial photographer for a couple years. I did this stuff all the time.

Oh yeah, and I have no idea how to use MS Paint. Get Photoshop.

B

Jul 19, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 43
ilikemonkeys, thanks for the tips but unfortunately I already sold the headphones in question. Yeah, quite absent-minded.

Alu, it's the HFI 650 but I'm afraid it's not going to be a Ultrasone review. Perhaps something along those lines but I'm not sure and promised reviews usually end up as reviews not written. Sorry to disappoint but you can always pm with any questions you might have in mind.

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
ilikemonkeys, thanks for the tips but unfortunately I already sold the headphones in question. Yeah, quite absent-minded.

Alu, it's the HFI 650 but I'm afraid it's not going to be a Ultrasone review. Perhaps something along those lines but I'm not sure and promised reviews usually end up as reviews not written. Sorry to disappoint but you can always pm with any questions you might have in mind.

No problem with that. Any review is good.
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 43
You need a photo editing suite, like adobe Photoshop or I use the corel version. Then you can use the mask feature, or the reverse mask feature to allow you to get rid of the background and the head. You may have a slight problem towards the top of the head as its color/shade gets close to that of the headband. This is why "Blue Screens" are used.

If I want the object floating with no background I take the picture on something with a uniform color, and which has a very different color from the object.

Most good software suites have a built in tutorial.

Good Luck

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 43
Yikes, thanks for the hints. I'll keep them in mind next time I take headphone pics. It also seems I need to buy a copy of Photoshop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
LIKE THIS?
(...)

Nice! I would want it exactly like this, just for another 25-30 pics (10 headphones with front, side and misc shots). May I ask how you did it?

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 43
archosman, thanks. Which tool/option did you use?

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
archosman, thanks. Which tool/option did you use?

Not sure what he used but I would use the magic wand tool (shortcut W) to select the background. Start by selecting most of it by hand using the Marquee or the Lasso, then do the finer details close to the objects with the wand. Adjust the tolerance as needed. Whenever you have selected something of the background just press Del to set it to transparent. If all of the background is gone you can place a white layer behind the one with the photo and you should be done. Obviously that was only a very rough description but it may give you an idea what to practice/learn. You should really do a few tutorials and play around with many of the programs functions because there are dozens of ways to do it. Some are quicker and/or more flexible than others so you should find a way that suits your purpose best. If you are going to correct many of those photos you may save time in the end if you first learn to use the program properly. Also playing with PS is great fun and the knowledge comes in handy quite often.

Another tip: Always work on digital photos in their original (i.e. high) resolution and save in PS-format. Resizing (a copy) to the actual resolution you need should be the last step. Then "save for web".

Good luck

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastjack
Not sure what he used but I would use the magic wand tool (shortcut W) to select the background. Start by selecting most of it by hand using the Marquee or the Lasso, then do the finer details close to the objects with the wand. Adjust the tolerance as needed. Whenever you have selected something of the background just press Del to set it to transparent. If all of the background is gone you can place a white layer behind the one with the photo and you should be done. Obviously that was only a very rough description but it may give you an idea what to practice/learn. You should really do a few tutorials and play around with many of the programs functions because there are dozens of ways to do it. Some are quicker and/or more flexible than others so you should find a way that suits your purpose best. If you are going to correct many of those photos you may save time in the end if you first learn to use the program properly. Also playing with PS is great fun and the knowledge comes in handy quite often.

Another tip: Always work on digital photos in their original (i.e. high) resolution and save in PS-format. Resizing (a copy) to the actual resolution you need should be the last step. Then "save for web".

Good luck

Photoshop cs..

the fastest way ( for best result ) is to make a path ( tag "paths" near layers , "make new path" ) and use the pen instrument . It takes a while to understand how to curve lines with it ( alt control shift apple buttons combination make the life pretty easy in Photoshop ) .. anyhow once you have it it's very fast to select things and the best results .

once you finish the path , go to the path tab with the mouse and select with right mouse click the path you've created while keeping the apple button pressed .

now your path is selcted (you can do whatever you want to the part selected : you can work on colors , on adjustment , on borders without messing up with the background (!) ) .
then :
to remove the background : press apple+shift+I -> this will invert your selection .
now press G , click on the image : you'll have your backgroung colored the color you want . To change the color , just go on the instrument bar , on the bottom there are two squares , click on the upper square , choose the foregroung color you need , press ok , press G and click on image .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back