Need advice on headphones with a powerful low end for rock and metal
Aug 9, 2016 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Lunrtick

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I'm looking to purchase a second pair of headphones for listening to rock and metal.
My current setup consists of:

1. A pair of AKG Q701's
  2. A Garage 1217 Project Starlight Vacuum Tube amp
  3. A Schiit Modi DAC

This is really great for bringing out the mid and high end details, but I find the AKG's somewhat lacking for my heavier music.

Any suggestions for a sub 300$ pair of 'phones would be greatly appreciated :)

Aug 10, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 10
There's a few current reviews for these (there's two on the front page at this time) so have a look - the Meze 99.

These have a powerful bass, but midrange isn't affected - they're heavy hitters and should just be within your budget -

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/meze-99-classics-headphones-with-detachable-cable-and-controls-mic-walnut-silver.html

We're in the UK but these are available in the US too.

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 10
  Hi guys

I'm looking to purchase a second pair of headphones for listening to rock and metal.

1. A pair of AKG Q701's
  3. A Schiit Modi DAC

This is really great for bringing out the mid and high end details, but I find the AKG's somewhat lacking for my heavier music.

What music player are you using? Get into its EQ and boost at 30hz or thereabouts (and then maybe reduce 70hz to 150hz to get this range closer to where the low bass is). Try how far you can boost before you get distortion (and then try the upper bass cuts), if that works well enough then hey, it's free.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 10
@SteveHiFi Thanks for the suggestion! Those are quite hard to find in South Africa, and shipping them here can be quite a mission. I saw a few options on levap's thread "Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution", and have found the Beyerdynamics DT770's to be quite widely available and well priced. Any thoughts on those, and which between the 250 ohm and 80 ohm are better option?

@ProtegeManiac I've played with the EQ on Foobar2000 and VLC, neither of which produced outstanding results but they did improve things somewhat... And it was free :D Thanks for the help. What music player do you use? 

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 10
  Hi guys

1. A pair of AKG Q701's
  3. A Schiit Modi DAC

Depends upon what type of metal you listen to.New metal(Opeth,FalkenbachParasite Inc.,etc...) often has a lot of bass and that will be apparent on most headphones.

Classic metal (Maiden,Priest,Accept,Motorhead,etc...) doesnt have much bass in there.

If youre wanting to feel a thump where there typically isnt one you want something with emphasized bass.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 10

@ProtegeManiac I've played with the EQ on Foobar2000 and VLC, neither of which produced outstanding results but they did improve things somewhat... And it was free :D Thanks for the help. What music player do you use? 

MediaMonkey off my laptop but only when I'm working on it. For my HD600 I have it set to +3dB at 30hz, -1dB at 120hz, +1dB at 2000hz, and -3dB at 8000hz; for my ASG-1.3 everything between 30hz and 1000hz gets -2, then everything between 1000hz and 8000hz gets +1dB.

Otherwise I use my Android as a music server, primarily because Neutron Music Player has a 10-band Parametric EQ. For my HD600 I apply a low shelf EQ at 35hz, +4dB, so everything below that all gets +4dB. I then apply a wideband peak EQ cut centered at roughly 125hz just to trim the upper bass bump a little; when on the go I load up a different profile for my ASG-1.3 - low shelf, -2dB at 800hz ; high-shelf +2dB at 1200hz, peak -4dB at 6500hz.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 10
@monsterzero I suppose I should've clarified :p I'm a fan of everything from classic metal like Iron Maiden through Metalcore like Parkway Drive, to post-metal like Cult of Luna. I want the extra bass for bands like Parkway Drive, Beartooth, and Asking Alexandria. Big Opeth fan also.

@ProtegeManiac Awesome, thanks, I'll give that a try.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 10

@ProtegeManiac Awesome, thanks, I'll give that a try.

Just note that these EQ profiles are based on the HD600 and ASG-1.3 graphs, although there are similarities in the bass between the HD600 and Q701 in terms of how there is an upper bass bump and then somewhat early roll-off. Try the ones for the bass region but don't just apply the ones in the treble.

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 10
You might want to take a look at the Thinksound On1. It's not quiet an over-ear as you requested, but its great when you are on the go.

http://www.thinksound.com/on1.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back