Need Advice on headphones for mobile phone music playback
May 9, 2018 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

crasherkid

New Head-Fier
Hi there
I dont have a headphone amp, neither do i intend to/can afford to buy one but i need recommendations on a nice pair of headphones so i can listen to music from my smartphone. (oneplus 5)

Ive been told i need 32 ohm headohones as they're easier to drive from my phone, but i do like low frequency bass.

My budget is around £100 ($135)

I only listen to music (trance music) maybe 15-30 mins on a night and looking for a pair that produces nice low bass without the mids or highs sounding drowned or muffled.

Currently using Monster ntune which sound okay, but not very bassy.
Cheers in advance :)

May 10, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 9
Go for Sony XBA-N1AP. I do not know what is the price there in your country but the bass is good. Another option would be iBasso IT01 :)

May 10, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 9
Ive been told i need 32 ohm headohones as they're easier to drive from my phone, but i do like low frequency bass.

That depends. Voltage output is limited on such devices so their output in watts tends to drop (which happens even on stand alone amps; by how much relative to the 32ohm output varies), but if the sensitivity of the low impedance headphone is considerably low, that will just offset how much power it will need, which will still be more than what it will get (ie mainstream devices with integrated audio chips produce around 5mW to 15mW of clean power).

Bottom line - you need to look at the sensitivity as much as the impedance, if not more. A 120ohm, 105dB/1mW (measured at 1000hz) IEM will get louder more easily (not to mention not need to go as loud given the isolation level) than a 35ohm, 93dB/1mW (measured at 1000hz) headphone (that also needs to overcome a higher noise floor).

My budget is around £100 ($135)

I only listen to music (trance music) maybe 15-30 mins on a night and looking for a pair that produces nice low bass without the mids or highs sounding drowned or muffled.

Thanks im after over headphones, not earphones.
Ive got quiet a few IEM's but need headphones.

Maybe try the Superlux HD330 or HD660. Generally the sensitivity would be considered a little low at 93dB/1mW, 1000hz, but given the very strong bass response that doesn't trail off by 20hz (most other headphones tend to be weaker than 1000hz by 40hz), you don't have to crank it up to hear the low end. Low mids can get muffled if you wear them tight but you can bend the metal frame a little bit to relax the clamp, which reduces the boominess of the bass.

May 10, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 9
That was a great post thanks. When you say HD660 are those sennheiser or superlux?
I'm pretty sure he means Superlux....the Senns are out of your budget and he mentioned the hd 330 which is another superlux product

May 10, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back