Need Advice on Headphone + Amp purchase
Nov 1, 2007 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Vextrek

New Head-Fier
I'm a fairly new poster around here, but I've been reading up on the forums for a while and finally got the courage to post
tongue.gif

Brief history: I got into headphones around 2002 in high school with a pair of Grado SR-60s and a pair of Sony MDR-V6s which I got a great deal on. I've been using these two on and off depending on the situation. Due to financial constraints, I had to forgo any upgrades and used these two headphones, along with a pair of UE Super.Fi 3s for listening depending on situations (IE music, gaming, commuting). Lately though, I've gotten a pretty severe case of upgraditis and just recently purchased the Yuin PK-2s for use at work when isolation isn't really an option

I want to upgrade my main home listening phones and purchase an amp as well (mostly because I've read so much about how they increase the listening experience). My budget for the two combined is probably around 300-400 dollars, but I'm willing to go higher, if given enough time to save up for the purchase. I'm looking at a 2-3 month time frame for research and saving up. I'm looking for synergy between the headphones and amp, and my typical use for the 'phones will be 70% music, 30% gaming/movies.

Thanks in advance for the advice and suggestions (as I'm pretty sure there will be some damn good advice given, the other posts I've read give me no reason to think otherwise
biggrin.gif
)

PS: Damn this is gonna hurt my wallet...

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 4
Hm.. what do you like in the headphones? Do you like the presentation of the Grado or is there something you would change if you could? Music choice?

That said, I can't get over how good of a deal you can get on used HD580's here on the FS forums. They're great headphones. Also, you can get a good deal on a Little Dot II ++ amplifier that is supposed to pair very well with the Senns. You could easily keep that combo <$300 which I'm sure is a plus
tongue.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 4
I listen to mostly rock but also have a profound appreciation for jazz and classical. My Grados and Sonys are nice, but keep making me wanting more, like I'm missing something. I can't quite put my finger on it, but its there. Don't really know how to explain it.

I've done some lisening on Sennheiser HD600s, but I didn't really like how they sounded (although I did listen to them coming out of my friend's crappy integrated sound card on MP3s encoded in 128kbps, so I might be persuaded otherwise). I'd like a good range of headphones that I could possibly check out for demoing.

On a side note, if someone could recommend a pair of headphones for sound engineering, it would be great. My cans I used for that purpose got destroyed in an unfortunate accident (involving 2 kids and a game of tug of war when I left the sound room unlocked and unattended during a children's event, my fault).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back