Need advice on getting first (decent) pair headphones for listening to nu metal, heavy rock, and rock in general
Nov 22, 2011 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Madbull1234

New Head-Fier

I am looking for a pair of headphones to listen to the above music genres (for example - I listen to Lostprophets, Disturbed, Avenged sevenfold, but I do also listen to stuff like Coldplay and Keane)

I would set a price range of £120, but to be fair I don't want anything too cheap. I can get a (cheap*) portable amp, and will be listening through them on a coach, so preferably closed headphones.
*by this I mean a FiiO E5/6 (if you can suggest a better portable amp for the same price range (up to £40), please do but I don't want to be spending a lot of money on these)

So far I have done a bit of web searching and have got some ideas of what I'm looking for:

1. SHURE SRH 440/840 (not sure on the benefits of the 840 though)
  2. I have heard that GRADO do good headphones (I heard that the SR80i are good)
  3. Wasn't too sure but I heard a few things about Sennheiser 83555's (but everything I read said the above two are better)
I know not to look for something too amazing as they are my first set and I don't really want to jump straight into the deep end of things
(please correct anything wrong with the above 
tongue.gif
 )

I don't need anything with bass, but if it can at least play it without distortion that would be good (although said, this is probably the least important thing that I am looking for, so feel free to overlook this part 
biggrin.gif
 )

I would prefer to have pads that fit around my ear, not on them as I will be using these for up to 1:30-2:30 hours twice a day, and for pretty much everything else that requires headphones/listening to music.

I am open to any answers (to be fair I am new to all this audiophile business, so (if possible) please don't use word that I won't understand 
biggrin.gif
 ), and will appreciate any sensible replies.

Many thanks

Madbull1234

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 13
Grado SR60 and SR80 are both very good for metal and rock. I loved them for alternative rock, indie, lil bit of metal. Unlike Sennheisers which have a more laid back signature, Grados sound like they're built for rock/metal. Very forward, aggressive mids. The only downside I would say is, it's open and does not isolate very well if you intend to use them outdoors. They sit against your ear, instead of over. You can buy bowl pads but they make your Grados look huge, and they're quite costly. 

If you're going portable, in-ear monitors would suit you better. 

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 13
Heya,

Check these out:

Grado SR60i with Lcush Pads (open)
Shure SRH440 (closed)
Beyer DT770 PRO (closed) & DT990 PRO (open)
Senneheiser HD598 (sale or used; open), HD499 (new? closed)
Ultrasone HFI 780 (closed)
Fischer Audio FA-011 (open) & FA-003 (closed)

Very best,

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
I am looking for a pair of headphones to listen to the above music genres (for example - I listen to Lostprophets, Disturbed, Avenged sevenfold, but I do also listen to stuff like Coldplay and Keane)
I would set a price range of £120, but to be fair I don't want anything too cheap. I can get a (cheap*) portable amp, and will be listening through them on a coach, so preferably closed headphones.
*by this I mean a FiiO E5/6 (if you can suggest a better portable amp for the same price range (up to £40), please do but I don't want to be spending a lot of money on these)
So far I have done a bit of web searching and have got some ideas of what I'm looking for:

1. SHURE SRH 440/840 (not sure on the benefits of the 840 though)
  2. I have heard that GRADO do good headphones (I heard that the SR80i are good)
  3. Wasn't too sure but I heard a few things about Sennheiser 83555's (but everything I read said the above two are better)
I know not to look for something too amazing as they are my first set and I don't really want to jump straight into the deep end of things
(please correct anything wrong with the above 
tongue.gif
 )

I don't need anything with bass, but if it can at least play it without distortion that would be good (although said, this is probably the least important thing that I am looking for, so feel free to overlook this part 
biggrin.gif
 )

I would prefer to have pads that fit around my ear, not on them as I will be using these for up to 1:30-2:30 hours twice a day, and for pretty much everything else that requires headphones/listening to music.
I am open to any answers (to be fair I am new to all this audiophile business, so (if possible) please don't use word that I won't understand 
biggrin.gif
 ), and will appreciate any sensible replies.

Many thanks

Madbull1234

HEY EVERYONE, HE SAID HE PREFERS CLOSED HEADPHONES.

Grados and Sennheiser HD-555s are open headphones.
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) have a nice sound, easy to drive and are closed, the cups are on the small side, barely fits around my ears.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Just a quick one; what's the sound difference between the SR60(i) and the SR 80(i)?

Miniscule, if any. I got the SR60i and SR325i to see the spectrum and found the SR325i to be only slightly different. The prestige line to me literally just sounds like the same thing over and over, but with different housing material as you climb up which may, or may not, be responsible for any real sonic difference. I basically recommend the SR60i with Lcush pads for anyone who wants a Grado below the higher up series (things out of the prestige line that cost $500+). If you want to spend a lot of money on a Grado, I'd just get the SR60i, whatever pads you prefer, and then spend the rest of the money on getting some woodbacks for them.

Very best,

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Thanks again, looks like I got what I came for :)
Madbull

I thought you said you preferred closed headphones?
Grados are open.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 13

Thanks again, looks like I got what I came for :)
Madbull

I thought you said you preferred closed headphones?

Grados are open.

Well, just because I was inquiring about them doesn't mean that I'm going to buy them :p (although they seem the better of the lot)
and too be fair I guess I'll only be using them around people who do it as well (guys on the coach and family), and I guess that's just tough on them XD
anyways that was not amazingly important; what matters is that I found the advice that I was looking for.

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 13
Sennheiser hd 25 1 ii. Best metal experience i have ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back