Need advice on full ear headphones
Apr 23, 2012 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kinietis11

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I had denon AH NC800 headphones, but my brother broke them. So i need new ones. Not looking for something really expensive ~350$max. I would use them in the city as well as my home (so they need to be noise cancelling). I'm not a DJ btw :D. So what would you recommend? comment if you need more info.

Thank you in advance, 
Augustas

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 15
How portable do they need to be? What genres do you listen to? Why do you need active noise cancellation?

The D2000 is not really a good portable headphone.

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 15
Are you a basshead? More of a neutral guy? If you're going to use these at home and on the go, consider the Ultrasone PRO750's. Great passive isolation and good sound quality.

Denon d2k's are great but as RainbowJack stated, not really a good portable set of cans

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 15
Thank You very much for the replies. Well I listen to mostly everything. From dubstep to classical music. Portable headphones aren't really necessary. I mean I would carry them in my backpack and I have plenty of space in it, so any headphones would fit. I don't need active noise cancelling, I just want my headphones to be as soundproof as possible, because in school and at home there is a lot of noise and I don't like listening to my music loudly so mostly the headphones themselves shoud isolate the noise. I could wait for vmoda's to come out if they are worth the waiting. Btw I'm mostly interested in full ear headphones. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 15
oh and 1 more question. Are there any mp3s/mp4s that can play lossless or flac audio?

and would you recommend getting a DAC/amp? If yes which one?

Thank You very much for the replies. Well I listen to mostly everything. From dubstep to classical music. Portable headphones aren't really necessary. I mean I would carry them in my backpack and I have plenty of space in it, so any headphones would fit. I don't need active noise cancelling, I just want my headphones to be as soundproof as possible, because in school and at home there is a lot of noise and I don't like listening to my music loudly so mostly the headphones themselves shoud isolate the noise. I could wait for vmoda's to come out if they are worth the waiting. Btw I'm mostly interested in full ear headphones. 

OK. I still recommend the PRO750's as they give good sound quality with the isolation you're looking for. The D2000's aren't the best for portability not because of their size but that they don't isolate the best. They leak more out than in though but overall, don't have the isolation of the PRO750's.

All iPods can play ALAC, which is apple's lossless format. This is what I use and it works fine for me.
The Sansa Fuze is pretty popular and it can play FLAC

What's your source? Are you listening mostly from your portable device (which is?) or your computer? The E7 is a good all around device for under $100. It can be used as a DAC and AMP. I would say if listening mostly with your portable device, get a line out cable for it and buy the FiiO E11. If you're using it mostly for computer use, get an E10. The E17 combines the E10 and E7 together and gives your superior sound quality along with the option of using it has a stand alone amp when on the go, but with a larger price.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 15
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-750-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000Y556M8 are these the ones you are talking about? They used to cost twice as much. It's a superb deal.

How does this ALAC work? You just upload FLAC to your Itunes and it converts to ALAC?

Well I have an Ipod, but I don't use it a lot and I also have a pc which I use pretty often. I'm going to clean my Ipod and then use it again so I think I will take E17. If I get this device I won't need to change it for a long while.

Are there any mp3/mp4s that have a lot of space? Or Ipods are the only choice? 

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 15
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-750-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000Y556M8
ir

are these the ones you are talking about? They used to cost twice as much. It's a superb deal.

How does this ALAC work? You just upload FLAC to your Itunes and it converts to ALAC?

Well I have an Ipod, but I don't use it a lot and I also have a pc which I use pretty often. I'm going to clean my Ipod and then use it again so I think I will take E17. If I get this device I won't need to change it for a long while.

Are there any mp3/mp4s that have a lot of space? Or Ipods are the only choice? 

ALAC and FLAC are both lossless encoding formats. At the end of the day, they accomplish the same task. It just turns into a compatibility issue. iPods can play ALAC but not FLAC. The Sansa fuze can play FLAC but not ALAC. I don't think iTunes can convert FLAC files to ALAC, but there are tons of converters out there if that the road you want to take.

iPods are not the only choice. If most of my music wasn't already in ALAC, I would just get a fuze and be done with iTunes. The fuzes have a micro SD card slot so you can expand the memory, which the iPods don't have.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #12 of 15
oh ok. i don't use my ipod because i hate itunes. it makes evrything a thousand times harder (for me). so i will get fuze mp3, ultrasone pro 750 and e17. 

What do you think about Sennheiser PXC 450 NoiseGard?

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 15
What do you think about Sennheiser PXC 450 NoiseGard?

[size=1.7em] [/size]

Not sure. Never have listened to them. I can say though that it is best to stay away from active noise cancelling. Unless you need it ridiculously quiet, there's no need for it. Passive isolation from regular cans is just fine. It can also interfere with the music you're listening to and can degrade it...if it allows you to listen to music and cancel noise at the same time. Some only allow you to do one or the other at a time.

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 15
Ok. What about vmoda m100? Are they worth the waiting?

I haven't heard any of the vmoda heapdhones but from what I've read about eh m80s, I don't think they would be bad. Maybe someone else can give you better info on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back