Need advice on deciding!!
Jan 12, 2012 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GingerGiant

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I have just recently entered the head-fi world, and have just acquired some brand spankin' new (already astroid-modded) Senn HD228's.

I really like these cans so far, but some things I don't really like is that on some tracks I notice the bass and mid-range lacking compared to the highs, and the fact that they aren't circumaural. I am now infected with what I believe is known as "upgrade-itis," and am already looking for a new toy. I thought that this would be a good time to get some new cans because I can ask for them for my birthday that is coming up. I have researched for countless hours, and out of the thousands of headphones out there I have come up four that I think are beneficial to my needs.

INFO

Genres I listen to are mostly rock,(Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Bon Jovi, etc) and classical(Beethoven, Mozart John Sebastian Bach), some folk(Beirut?), and whatever else suits my mood.

I would like to not have to use an amp, but I've seen E6's for sale at around 25$, so It's not that big of a problem. The sources I use are my Ipod touvh 4g and my toshiba laptop.

Price range is about 80-130$, but keep in mind that I'm from Canada and everything here is more expensive, unless you can find an ebay seller who ships here. 

Headphones I have in mind: Sony MDR-V6, Shure SRH840, ATH M-50 and Ultrasone 580. I know absoloutly nothing about the Ultrasone, but I have read a[size=x-small]n adequate amount on the other ones.[/size]

Any [size=small]Suggestions?[/size]

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 5
I noticed you listed mainly closed back cans. An open back can would be mostly likely better for your choices of music. I'd recommend an AD700 as the sound stage on these are great for classical and they have a fast in your face kind of sound similar to grados (which are known to be great for rock).

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the response, but I also need them closed because I will be using them while walking to school, at school, etc. Forgot to mention that, sorry. What of those four cans would you recommend? Or would you recommend something completely different?

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 5
If it's closed cans and portable and not requiring an amp then:

Audio Technica ATH-ESW10 (kinda expensive - but wow!)  or the ATH-ESW9 (more within  a student's price range.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the reccomendation, and if i had a job/was old enough to get a job, I would definitely condiser those! But since i am asking for a new pair for my b-day my parents are sceptical spending $~130, never mind 300$! Any other advice you have to offer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back