need advice on buying an earphone ...
Oct 12, 2009 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SkyWalker1726

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone , needed an advice on buying a headphone , so thought that i could use ur help ... ( altough it seems like my question will be a nooblike one
biggrin.gif
)
i just got myself an W995 phone , and as i did before with my iphone , i wouyld like to use it as my MP3 player too , but the problem is , that the volume is too low , no matter what i do ...
tried with default headphone , and also with Creative 630 , but the result wasn't what i had in mind ...
since i don't really have knowledge about Headphone technologies or spec ( impedance , frequency ... ) your help is very much appreciated .

Q1- if i buy a better headphone , will i get a much louder sound , or is the limitation due to the device that i'm using ?
and what are the earphone that u suggest me to get a louder volume , i had these two model in mind .

Sennheiser CX550 Style II

Creative Aurvana

thanks in advance for ur help

PS : what is the Impedance in an headphone ? is it the higher the better or the lower the better ? and what are the spec that i should have in mind when choosing a headphone
THX !

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 4
As a general rule to get higher volume at the same driving power you want a headphone with low impedance and high sensitivity. Frequency response doesn't matter. Creative EP630s are pretty average, power-requirement-wise, so either your phone really does have very low volume or you are destroying your eardrums. If you still want to try another earphone, I think the Altec Lansing UHP336 are ridiculously easy to drive, so you may want to look into those.

Your other option (besides getting a different portable source) is to try a Fiio E5 or similar low-cost amplifier. It should work fine as a mere volume booster, although it may accentuate the flaws of your source.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyWalker1726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for ur answer ,
but the Altec lansing option is not available in my country ,
will the sennheiser one , be a good choice ?

I doubt they'd be very different from the EP630 volume-wise. If you still want to try something else the $12 Soundmagic PL21 from FocalPrice.com are incredible for the price and fairly easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back