Need advice on building a DAC.
Feb 27, 2011 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

soviet911

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. So im looking to start a new project soon and would like to build a small DAC, I would like it to be USB powerd, and decently small. I was looking at grubDAC and this kit 
http://beezar.com/oscommerce2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=130&osCsid=bde0ea132034a6a4990d20a5499d4c00

Any one bought from that website? And is it possible to incorporate analog VU meter's for the line out signal? just for aesthetic purposes without ruining the quality of a signal? I just love looking at those and think it would be pretty cool to have them on a small DAC unit but have no clue if its possible or how to even do it? especialy with a design like grubDAC? Thanks for any help.

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 5
Highly recommend the Grub, and the instructions on the web site make it almost childs play to make

cheers
FRED

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm thinking of buying grubdac too. Looks like a good project to start with dacs.

I think that VU meters aren't problem. You need some buffer for them, so there would be no signal degradation. I'm not sure, but I think that my friend made it this way a long time ago in his amp.

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying grubdac too. Looks like a good project to start with dacs.

I think that VU meters aren't problem. You need some buffer for them, so there would be no signal degradation. I'm not sure, but I think that my friend made it this way a long time ago in his amp.

Do u know how he did that? I tried searchning but there seems to be absolutly no information about inocrporating VU meteres. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 5
Just google : "VU buffer". But try to search also in pictures.

For example here: http://www.jlmaudio.com/VU%20Buffer.htm . The problem can be power supply...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back