Need advice on amp situation please!
Oct 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Chairman

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I’m looking to buy a headphone amp and I need some advice please. I’m currently using DT880s (250ohm) and will soon be purchasing DT770s (250ohm). I would say about 90-95% of the time I’m listening at my desktop PC, but I would also use it with my laptop and iPod otherwise so portability is a plus, but not priority. Music is pretty broad, mostly rock with some jazz, metal, classical, folk, and basically everything else other than hip hop and electronica.

My desktop also has a Xonar DX, which factors into my dilemma. Right now I have the Xonar connected to front panel audio and I’m listening through that. The Xonar is also outputting to Logitech Z5500 5.1 speakers via analog (which is why I can’t connect the headphones to the back panel of the Xonar). I use these speakers about 50% of the time, so ideally I don’t want to have to crawl behind the desktop to constantly switch out cables depending on if I want to listen on headphones or speakers.
From what I understand, I basically have two options:

1.       1. Something like the E17, connect to the Xonar via optical, leave the speakers plugged into the analog outputs of the Xonar, and use the headphones through the E17 (forcing Dolby headphone etc through optical for games/movies/etc as necessary). Bonus because the E17 is portable. However, my concern is that I’ve heard the DAC on the E17 isn’t as good as the Xonar…is this true? Would there be a noticeable difference?

2.       2. Get a dedicated headphone amp to use with the Xonar, be less lazy and switch between speakers and headphones by plugging them into the Xonar as needed. I could maybe go this route if the quality difference over the E17 is significant, but then I lose the added bonus of portability (I think?).

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated! My budget is around $200.

Thanks!

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 4
Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier, $62.99, get the Micca combo, comes with an extra battery.
And also get the Fiio L cable.
The E11 comes with a very shot 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, might want to order a longer one.
You can connect the E11 to the front panel jack on the computer case
and use the L cable to connect the Apple LOD port to the line-in port on the E11.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the response! My concern with plugging anything into the front panel jack is that it seems to pick up a fair amount of noise from inside my computer case. When I plug my 880s directly into the front panel and turn up the volume, I get hiss. I'm assuming running an amp out of the front panel jack would only make this worse, no?

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks for the response! My concern with plugging anything into the front panel jack is that it seems to pick up a fair amount of noise from inside my computer case. When I plug my 880s directly into the front panel and turn up the volume, I get hiss. I'm assuming running an amp out of the front panel jack would only make this worse, no?

Chances are the hiss will still be there (maybe worse) no matter what amplifier you hook up to he front panel audio jack.
Guess you should get the E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back