NEED ADVICE on amp for Senns HD25-II
May 8, 2012 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kevork1an

New Head-Fier
Hello

I do not know much about amps but wondering if there is any portable amp to take on a train and for short walking distance that will enhance the cans. I like bass but would not compromise the clarity of the hd25. Price range is up to $100.

Thank you for any advice

May 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 14
What is your source, and what type of music do you like?

In that price range, I'd look at the cmoyBB, the pa2v2, and there are a few Fiio models in that price range too.  Here's a good starting point:  http://www.headfonia.com/music-on-a-budget-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout/

If you're able to about double your budget, I'd definitely look at the JDSLabs C421.  I'm really enjoying it paired with my HD25's.  It's $184 with the OPA2227 opamp.

May 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 14
The HD25 II is like one of the easiest to drive headphones out there. So you guys are basically saying that every headphone would benefit from an amp. I highly disagree with that statement.

May 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 14
Let's say  the hd25 benefit from a good DAC ... Which is the case of most headphones (unless you have a headphone with unacceptable level of muddiness).
I  noticed that my hd25 perform a bit poorly from a realtek onboard soundcard.

May 9, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Let's say  the hd25 benefit from a good DAC ... Which is the case of most headphones (unless you have a headphone with unacceptable level of muddiness).
I  noticed that my hd25 perform a bit poorly from a realtek onboard soundcard.

Thats a problem of your onboard soundcard, they mostly are made with ~80 db S/N ratio. 
For the OP I guess he's using portable media player. The DACs are already pretty good in those. 
And given the impedance, no need for an amp.

May 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 14
I will be using my galaxy nexus most of the time to listen to music and maybe even my PC at work, but will use the regular audio jack for that. I listen mostly to EDM, some rock/rap like Fort Minor and some rock consisting of Three Days Grace. Mostly will use for EDM though.

I appreciate the advice and always welcome more.

Thanks to all!

May 10, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
The HD25 II is like one of the easiest to drive headphones out there. So you guys are basically saying that every headphone would benefit from an amp. I highly disagree with that statement.

Quote:

Thats a problem of your onboard soundcard, they mostly are made with ~80 db S/N ratio. 
For the OP I guess he's using portable media player. The DACs are already pretty good in those. 
And given the impedance, no need for an amp.

The impedance is indeed relatively low (70ohms), but will still benefit from a good amp. This has to do with the electrical dampening of the drivers by the ideally near 0 ohm output impedance of an amp. The primary benefit relating the the HD25 is the increase in bass control which I found audible.

May 10, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

The impedance is indeed relatively low (70ohms), but will still benefit from a good amp. This has to do with the electrical dampening of the drivers by the ideally near 0 ohm output impedance of an amp. The primary benefit relating the the HD25 is the increase in bass control which I found audible.

Agree, but source impedance nowadays is 3 or 4 Ohms max, so not that high, if your headphone is significantly higher (>10x).
Plus, not all headphone amps tell their output impedance, only the ones with 0 Ohms do.

May 10, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 14
True, most devices are very good, so much so that I happily didn't use an amp for a few years after getting my HD25. You can most definitely get something nice for the price of an amp, but when I bought a good amp it was my opinion that the benefits where worth the price. The differences weren't groundbreaking, but again, worth it IMO.

At any rate best of luck OP.

May 10, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 14
If you're curious to try an amp, I still think it's worth it.  At the budget you set out, even if you don't notice a significant difference, the risk is fairly low.  Pick one up and give it a shot.  I'd have a look at the ones I mentioned.  You might even be able to pick up a used one off eBay for even cheaper to try it out.  For rock like 3 Days Grace (one of my faves, too), an amp can definitely improve the attack of the guitars, which is already pretty monster on the HD25's. 

May 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
[...] and some rock consisting of Three Days Grace[...]

Quote:
For rock like 3 Days Grace (one of my faves, too), an amp can definitely improve the attack of the guitars, which is already pretty monster on the HD25's. 

Sitting here listening to the "One X" Three Days Grace album with my iTouch4G/C421-2227/HD25 combination and it sounds really good!  I've got the bass boost enabled for a little extra kick drum impact and bass guitar.  Sounding great.  I don't have much EDM to try out,  Rock/Rap should definitely shine too. I'm assuming you mean crossover stuff like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, etc?

EDIT:  I've now moved on to the newer "Life Starts Now" album and it sounds even better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back