need advice on a portable cd/mp3 player
Jul 21, 2002 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

lala

New Head-Fier
I'll mostly be using it with my sony v6, but may connect it to an amp as well, so better have line-out
better
What will be the top suggestions? Thanks

Jul 21, 2002 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 7
I think one of the best cd/mp3 players is the SlimX from iRiver. I have one, and I am quite satisfied with it. It does have a line out, so you'll be set if you want to use it with an amp. It also has an equalizer that will allow you to customize the sound to you're liking. The only drawback is that some people may not like having to use the remote to do the navigating (there is no lcd on the unit itself).

Hope this helps

Jul 21, 2002 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 7
I'll pitch in for the D-CJ01.

Merits: Higher quality sound than the SlimX, lower HP output but very good line out - superb for amping. Takes AA batteries (Alk, Nicad, NiMh) and charges both Nicad and Nimh as standard while being not much bigger than the SlimX. Display on main unit or optional better-looking remote (RM-MC11EL). Hardly ever skips.

Demerits: Less bells & whistles - no EQ and too much 'mega bass', expensive with a remote, won't play everything like the Slimx (copes perfectly well with CBR & VBR files on the whole, but the disc has to be closed).

Bottom line: Best MP3 quality from a PCDP - CJ01. Max bang for the buck - SlimX.

Firmware upgradability is not a huge issue - all they've done to date is to fix bugs on the SlimX! MP3Pro may be on the cards for SlimX (extends quality of very low-bitrate files), but anything else on the horizon will require too much horsepower.

Jul 22, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 7
thanks guys

Does anyone know where to get the sony D-CJ01 with remote?
And how does the ChromeX compare to SlimX? Does the sound quality differ a lot or just the appearance?
Also how is the anti-shock in these models? I might use it for jogging and treadmilling as well.

Thanks

Jul 22, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 7
Does anyone know of any side by side shot of the SlimX and The D-CJ01? I'm curious because the Sony player looks huge to me in most pictures but many people say that its not much bigger than the SlimX.

Jul 22, 2002 at 7:00 AM Post #6 of 7
The CJ01 is slightly smaller in terms of area but about a centimeter or so thicker.

You can get the D-CJ01 with remote only in Europe/Asia as standard. However there's nothing to stop you ordering an RM-MC11EL from a minidisc shop, direct from Sony, etc. The remote is about $60 so as I said, it'll work out more expensive than the iRiver.

I also forgot to mention that you're bombarded by info on the SlimX remote, while only the pertinent song-based information is shown on the RM-MC11EL. That's one of the other reasons I got the Sony - the iRiver remote was too geeky for me.

Jul 22, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Also how is the anti-shock in these models? I might use it for jogging and treadmilling as well.

The SlimX has good shock protection, but I've been told that the Sony's are your best bet if you plan to run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back