Need advice on a headphone
Jul 11, 2018 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

1999siguy

New Head-Fier
I recently showed my mother a pair of LCD 2.2 non-fazors, She fell in love. She said she has never heard music like that before and wants a pair of headphones. The problem is, she travels and doesn't want the hassle of bringing those behemoths around in her luggage along with an amplifier. I went the best buy and picked out some bose qc35 II's, B&O H9i, and a pair of bower and wilkins PX's. All have lacked the realism that the LCD can produce. I understand that there are limitations to driver size and open vs closed designs. I feel kinda stuck. Any suggestions?

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 6
NAD HP70 or the new PSB wireless sound like they may be worth trying. Both should be available from Amazon and returnable. You can't really be sure about a signature from a short audition like in a store. I would take something home that is reyrnable and give it a chance. But comparing a true portable to the LCD 2F (which I owned) is a tough benchmark. I think you'll have to accept some compromises and driver size certainly can be a factor. The NAD and PSB are tuned with a room feel that many people really responded to with the NAD HP50 and the HP70 sounds really interesting.

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks, I just ordered both on amazon and they'll be here on Friday. I think the open backed nature of the LCD also adds to the realism, Ive noticed similarities between something like my hd650's as well.

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 6
Oppo PM-3 perfect for travel.

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 6
I owned the PM3, and they were very nice, but with Oppo out of the game, and the pad wear consideration, they may be less than ideal in that respect. Mind you, if your mother isn't going to wear them for several hours a day they might be fine for many years. As nice as they are, you would have to buy used and I am quite sure that there are many sound signatures currently in production that can get you to where you want. I am glad that you are trying the NAD and PSB, I have heard both (albeit not for enough time) and I think they have a great deal to offer and are very worth auditioning. I would own the NAD HP70 now, but for portable use I prefer on-ear due to how hot and humid summer gets here so over-ear is less ideal for me during those times and I was tired of putting my portables away in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back