Need advice on a headphone setup for gaming,
Dec 27, 2013 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jobobee

New Head-Fier
I have somewhere between £350 and £400 to spend. 
Hello people of Head-Fi.
I'm thinking of getting a new audio setup and would like some advice.
What do you think?
I listen to classical music, pop (Queen, Beatles etc...) and I bit of Jazz. I also play a lot of video games and watch lots of YouTube videos.
I live in a fairly noisy area but it's not too bad with the windows closed.

I've already asked for advice here, but my budget has since changed.

I was thinking of the AKG Q701s and an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card as I hear Dolby Headphones is great.

I live in Italy, but my dad often visits me here so he can bring stuff from England seeing as it's usually cheaper there.

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 12
Yeah, the Q701 sounds like it's pretty good. I kinda need some advice on an AMP + DAC. 
I'm not a big fan of high bass TBH. I personally think that the soundstage can make it more immersive.

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 12
Hello, I have the Q701 and I like them a lot. They are great for gaming, having big soundstage, but even better for listening to music. True, they are a little bass lite, but the bass is very tight and fast and I think should be perfect for Classical or jazz music. You can find them on amazon.it for 250 €. I doubt, you can find them any cheaper.

For the dac/amp, I would look at the Shiit Modi - Magni or the O2 ODAC. I haven't heard them yet, but they are highly regarded. The Shiit products cost 100 $ each, but you will have to add taxes, as they are imported from US. But you are still inside your budget. The O2 ODAC is a little bit more expencive I think.

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 12
  Hello, I have the Q701 and I like them a lot. They are great for gaming, having big soundstage, but even better for listening to music. True, they are a little bass lite, but the bass is very tight and fast and I think should be perfect for Classical or jazz music. You can find them on amazon.it for 250 €. I doubt, you can find them any cheaper.

For the dac/amp, I would look at the Shiit Modi - Magni or the O2 ODAC. I haven't heard them yet, but they are highly regarded. The Shiit products cost 100 $ each, but you will have to add taxes, as they are imported from US. But you are still inside your budget. The O2 ODAC is a little bit more expencive I think.

The shipping is like $50 on the Vali + Modi. The problem is that they don't support Dolby Headphones, and I hear it's actually really good.

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 12
As far as I know, no amp truly support Dolby Headphones and Q701 are not Dolby. So I don't know why would that be a problem. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 12
  Would the K702 or the Q701 be better?
I don't know if the K702 is the same as the K702 Anniversary edition.

from most to least bass.

K702 annie (bass above neutral) > q701 (just a bit more bass than k702 but still below neutral) > k702

soundstage is technically the same, however, higher quantity of bass reduces perceived soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back