Need advice on a good 'entry level' 2.1 system for under £500 (~$800)
Feb 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Madbull1234

New Head-Fier
Well, I've been dabbling around in the realm of headphones for a while, and I have decided that I would like to get a sound system for my room. Its quite spacious, but seeing as my budget is about £500 (~$800) I don't think I'll be able to fill it all 
redface.gif

I have a laptop, and so if a system contains a DAC, please include it in the over all price range

I would hope that this budget would cover everything, and as I have a Laptop and CD's and a turn-table (and a FiiO E11 + iTouch, but I doubt that is useful 
tongue.gif
) I would hope to be able to play everything I have over the system.

Some info:
  1. I know NOTHING about stereo systems like this, so any suggestions would be helpful
  2. I would prefer to have a sub, but if that is really not possible, so be it
  3. I think that the budget should cover everything (and by that I mean the speakers, the sub, the DAC if needed, the wires, etc.)
  4. I have a spacious room, but would prefer bookshelf speakers which are on stands (this is only an aesthetic preference, ignore if you want 
    biggrin.gif
    ) as I don't have a bookshelf.

1. I don't mind if the speakers are active or passive, but if they are passive then please include the DAC in the price
  2. These speakers would be ONLY FOR AUDIO. They would not be used for films or games.

Thanks in advance for all reasonable comments!

Madbull1234

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 19
there is that Focal thing, forget the name.

however you could go amp and passive speakers which is prob mare sensible, could always get a sub later if you need but i doubt you will.  if you go with standmounts rather than small satellite speakers only really.  tbh its only ever americans that seem to think standmount speakers need subs.  a stylistic preference and a they tend to have giant rooms, the UK doesnt.#

basically pick an amp and pick some speakers, there are millions to pick from though.  try reading through something like what hifi's site to start giving you ideas what to look into.

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 19
Hmm since u mentioned spacious room - where is your listening position exactly? I agree with mark2410 and for an easy set up with some natural bass consider a pair of floor standers? Vintage/Classic amps still sound awesome/sweet to this day too. If used is fine in the UK you'd be fishing at sites like Gumtree UK
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 19
Where do you live? The best thing to do is search for local hi-fi shops and go audition some speakers yourself. There is usually a Sevenoaks, Superfi or Richer Sounds in most places and plenty of independent hi-fi shops here and there.

I'd say use your full budget now for speakers/amp then buy a good sub later. BK subwoofers are decent. I think a sub is necessary as most bookshelf speakers roll off around 50Hz.

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 19
Hence the idea of floor standers that could potentially go as low as 2x-40? I agree - rather than buying a poor sub, save up and get a better one as bad subs add little to no value in the set up If you do however choose to go 2.0 then floor standers (half decent ones) certainly offer a viable solution hehe

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 19
As the DACs in laptops are usually something low cost, better to get a new DAC
And you will need an amplifier for the speaker.
Put the DAC and Amp money together and get a stereo receiver, they come with a fairly decent headphone jack
If you could find a pair of used Infinity beta speakers, the 10s & 20s models are bookshelf and the beta 40s & 50s are floor towers.
I really doubt you can find a good quality new sub-woofer with your budget.

A good website for info on everything audio is AVSforum.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
Not really since the op is in the UK, US and UK have very different speaker markets.

Madbull1234 would still be able to get better info on speaker audio and stereo receivers on AVSforum, then Head-Fi.
And I do push the stereo receiver as a better value over a separate amp & DAC.

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Madbull1234 would still be able to get better info on speaker audio and stereo receivers on AVSforum, then Head-Fi.
And I do push the stereo receiver as a better value over a separate amp & DAC.

possibly, however http://www.avforums.com/ would be a far more relevant place

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 19
Mar 2, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #13 of 19
Entry-level 2.1 active monitor system?  Look to KRK, Yamaha and JBL.  Those three sell active 2.1 systems in the $800 price bracket.  Great entry point to the world of active systems.

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #15 of 19
Done a bit of looking around - What about, seeing as I need everything, something like a set of Tannoy Mercury V4's?
Are they any good? Because if I got something like them then I could get a Marantz CD6004 and PM6004 combo.
Just wanted to know your opinion on them 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back