Need Advice on 5.1 Surround
Dec 20, 2008 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

FaScO

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I apologize if this is in the wrong section but it seems to be the most appropriate one for my question. I hope

I want to buy a 5.1 surround sound system for my home theater. I have very little knowledge of what things to look out for, which are the main identifications of a good quality system, etc. My budget is no more than $600. And it seems I would be getting the "prebuilt" 5.1 system.

I have found two systems in my price range so far, both from Yamaha:
YHT290B
Yamaha Canada Music | Home Audio/Video
YHTB4630B
Yamaha Canada Music | Home Audio/Video

I would appreciate some comments and suggestions on home theather systems that are out there. Also I have a few questions:

1. Does number of Watts only affects the loudness of the sound?
2. Which audio format support should I be looking to receive excellent sound without going into very high prices? I am taling about Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic II, DTS-HD? I will be pairing this system with my PS3 as the dvd/bluray/music player.
3. What are your predictions on the difference in sound quality between the two systems I stated above?
4. I would assume that Yamaha systems are far more superior to the prebuilt Sony Home Threater systems, would this be correct?
Let's say this one
Home Theatre - Wireless - Receivers - Speakers - Home Theatre Systems - DAVHDX475 - Sony Style Canada

I appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back