Need advice on 271S vs. A900 vs. HFI-780s
Apr 1, 2008 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rdaneel

100+ Head-Fier
Hi - I'm a long-time lurker ready to make his first investment in some good cans, so I finally had to register! First off, I'm really sorry for posting yet another X vs. Y vs. Z thread - but I'm really at a loss. I'm planning on getting a headphone amp soon and having a bedroom setup with some decent cans. I have a great stereo setup, but too often I'm limited by my sleeping spouse! I figure that a Squeezebox to stream FLAC and an amp will be a great setup.

I'm thinking of AV123's new X-Head amp and a pair of cans in the $200 range. I listen to a mix of rock, jazz, pop, etc. I have my choices narrowed to:

AKG 271S
AT A900
Ultrasone HFI-780

Can anyone shed come light on this choice? I think all three are great sets, but is there any particular reason to pick one over the others? All seem to allow moderate volume usage next to my wife, which is key. I don't care how they look, so sound quality and comfort are the key factors. They're all about the same price, too. I'm not able to try them all, so any guidance would be appreciated!

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 5
Just curious, where are you from? Your best bet might be to sample any possible choices from an audio store or a local meet, if you can wait to purchase them.

I haven't heard the other two in your list, but I love my 780s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm in the northeast, but I'm not aware of a place that carries the ATs, so I may not be able to hear all three or four choices. I'll try and find an Ultrasone dealer... good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back