Need advice!! New headphones or Amplifier??
Mar 3, 2006 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kinsale

100+ Head-Fier
Hi
My components are Senn 570, Grado SR60, IPOD Video, Laptop. I want to improve the sound of my work setup which includes either the ipod or laptop. Should i get the Bithead to use the USB output of my laptop? New headphones? Other amp recommendations? Budget is $250-300.

Thanks everyone.
Ian

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 9
I say you get a Portaphile V2^2, Ray Samuels Audio "The Hornet", or Headamp AE-1. They are from $240-$350. You already have decent cans. You can get better stuff after you get the amp.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 9
If you are plugging those phones into your laptop the bithead will GREATLY improve your sound quality. Now, I haven't heard the bithead but just search the forums and see. I do have a usb dac, so I know the improvement that can be had. The bithead can amp your ipod also.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale
Hi
My components are Senn 570, Grado SR60, IPOD Video, Laptop. I want to improve the sound of my work setup which includes either the ipod or laptop. Should i get the Bithead to use the USB output of my laptop? New headphones? Other amp recommendations? Budget is $250-300.

Thanks everyone.
Ian

Ian,
A little more info might be in order.

Your trying to improve on the sound? In what way? What is it about the Grados or Senns that you feel like you want to change? Do you like the Senn sound or the Grado sound better?

What type of music do you listen to?

Are you thinking open type headphone again or closed?

Personally I use KSC35 or PX100 at work and almost never use my laptop as a source. My Rio Karma is leaps and bounds better sounding than anything out of the laptop and I can stick it in my pocket and move around if I need to. I don't like taking my more expensive cans into the office to get broken while in crisis mode.

I do use my CMoy Amp quite a bit with the Koss and Senn headphones and they do seem to improve when amped. The improvement is more dramatic in some headphones than others. So if it's worth it or not to buy an amp can be somewhat dependent on the headphones your using. I have no experiance with either that you own so I'll let it go at that.

Anyway good luck in your search!

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale
Hi

Thanks everyone.
Ian

Bithead would definitely be a worthwhile upgrade, IMHO. It also would act as a standalone amp for your iPod, which may help a little.

On the cheap side, you would find a big improvement on the laptop with a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro (TBAAM) - $40. This would leave you money for a can upgrade.
580smile.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 9
It's a tough call, ideally you should get an amp and a DAC for your laptop if you want to eliminate the weak links. In which case, the bithead comes to mind as a perfect solution. It will amp your iPod and act as a DAC+amp for your laptop. Seems like a good solution to me, cheap too!

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 9
with ipod lineout... and a $300 budget, i would get a $100 amp (diyed pimeta, or perhapse mini^3) and a pair of $200 phones that suite one's personal taste (HD580, SR225, K501, DT880). For myself, I think these represent the sweet spot before the dimishing return starts.

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks everyone for your replies. I like the soundstage of the 570s but I don't find it very musical. the Grados tend to have a collapsed soundstage but are pretty accurate. So is the consensus that the Bithead would be a good choice with one of my headphones rather than a new set of headphones?

Thanks
Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back