Need advice : new EAC set-up returns external compression error for one track from an entire CD
Mar 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Jubei

Headphoneus Supremus
I've just set up EAC Version 1.0Beta according to this guide (http://blowfish.be/eac/index.html) on my new Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium., and I've been experiencing some weird issues.

I've been using EAC for many years now, mostly ripping CDs to MP3s on Win XP ... I've very little experience with Windows 7 at the moment. Basically, I'm re-ripping my entire CD collection to FLAC. Tonight I was ripping Billy Joel's Greatest Hits, and on the second disc, all the tracks were ripped accurately (i.e. the wav files were fine) and all but one track were converted to FLAC. For that one file, EAC returned an external compressor error. I loaded the wav file of that track into Foobar and converted it to FLAC with the same FLAC encoder without any errors. I deleted the wav and tried re-ripping the track alone with EAC and this time it didn't return any errors.

I've attached a screenshot of the my compression options page and this is the command line I'm using :

-V -8 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

If I have the set-up completely wrong, then EAC will give me errors on every rip - so I'm guessing the problem is more subtle.

In all my years of using EAC on Win XP, it has never done this to me. And I've ripped over 2000 CDs to MP3s. But I'm new to FLAC and this is a newer version of EAC that didn't let me load my old / saved profiles, so what's the deal? Is something wrong with my set-up?

P.S. : I was playing music in the background with Foobar, for what it's worth. Maybe I shouldn't? I've never had problems with this before ...

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 2
OK. I managed to repeat the error ripping The Black Crowe's Greatest Hits. Again the entire album was ripped and compressed except one track. With the Billy Joel disc it was track 11, but this time it was track 2 - so I guess it doesn't have anything to do with the position of the track. 

I did manage to capture the error message this time : 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back