Need advice mix amp 5.8 + e11
Nov 15, 2014 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lyons238

Head-Fier
I'm using a pair of Ultrasones pro 900s that are 40ohm.

Do you think I should use the e11 with the MixAmp 5.8 or is the MixAmp enough to drive these? Also I have an inline mic, the v mods BoomPro so if I did use the e11 could I run the mic inline or would I have to some how separate it?

Nov 15, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 11

Do you think I should use the E11 with the Mix-Amp 5.8 or is the Mix-Amp enough to drive these? Also I have an inline mic, the v mods BoomPro so if I did use the E11 could I run the mic inline or would I have to some how separate it?

The Astro Mix-amp should easily be able to drive 40-Ohm headphones.
You could hook up the E11 using the V Mods Boom Pro Y adapter.
But I'm thinking you should do ok without the E11.

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 11

Do you think I should use the E11 with the Mix-Amp 5.8 or is the Mix-Amp enough to drive these? Also I have an inline mic, the v mods BoomPro so if I did use the E11 could I run the mic inline or would I have to some how separate it?

The Astro Mix-amp should easily be able to drive 40-Ohm headphones.
You could hook up the E11 using the V Mods Boom Pro Y adapter.
But I'm thinking you should do ok without the E11.

I can't just hookup the BoomPro directly inline from the e11? If I chose to use it? Will the MixAmp power both the pro 900s and the mic just fine?

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 11
I can't just hookup the BoomPro directly inline from the e11? If I chose to use it? Will the MixAmp power both the pro 900s and the mic just fine?

The E11K has three connections, right, left, ground, normal connection for a 3.5mm stereo plug, which is what is need for regular stereo headphones (and a lot of gaming headsets).
But the Boom Pro connection requires a right, left, mic, ground, which is 4 connections, which the E11K is not designed to handle.

The Mix-amp's headphone jack is three connections (stereo plug) and the separate line-input jack is for the mic.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 11

The E11K has three connections, right, left, ground, normal connection for a 3.5mm stereo plug, which is what is need for regular stereo headphones (and a lot of gaming headsets).
But the Boom Pro connection requires a right, left, mic, ground, which is 4 connections, which the E11K is not designed to handle.

The Mix-amp's headphone jack is three connections (stereo plug) and the separate line-input jack is for the mic.

Actually the MixAmp headphone jack is 4 pole I believe the other jack is for the chat able if you need to plug it into the controller.

However now I know what you mean basically I need to carry the mic signal around the e11 because it doesn't have the 4 pole connections.

So do you think the MixAmp 5.8 will be enough power for my pro 900s and the mic? Or should I get the e11? Also is there any headphone amps with a 4 pole mic connection?

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 11
Actually the MixAmp headphone jack is 4 pole I believe the other jack is for the chat able if you need to plug it into the controller.

Wow, the Mix-amp has the 4 connections 3.5mm jack, never new that.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 11

Wow, the Mix-amp has the 4 connections 3.5mm jack, never new that.

Yeah so do you think the MixAmp 5.8 is enough for the mic and the pro 900s or should I look into an amp? Also what are my options for amps with a 4 pole jack? So far I see only the creative sound blaster amp

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 11
So do you think the MixAmp 5.8 will be enough power for my pro 900s and the mic? Or should I get the e11? Also is there any headphone amps with a 4 pole mic connection?

The mix-amp should easy be able to drive the 40-Ohm Pro 900s?
I would be surprised if any dedicated headphone amplifier came with the 4th connection for a mic.
But I've never looked into it.

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 11

The mix-amp should easy be able to drive the 40-Ohm Pro 900s?
I would be surprised if any dedicated headphone amplifier came with the 4th connection for a mic.
But I've never looked into it.

It seems to drive the pro 900s fine alone but I'm afraid once my BoomPro mic comes in it won't drive both that well once mixing in the chat volume. What do you think?

And yeah the creative sound blaster amp has a 4 pole jack for a mic but that's the only one I have found so far

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 11
It seems to drive the Pro 900s fine alone but I'm afraid once my BoomPro mic comes in it won't drive both that well once mixing in the chat volume. What do you think?

And yeah the creative sound blaster amp has a 4 pole jack for a mic but that's the only one I have found so far

You might find good answers about the Astro Mix-amp/BoomPro on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-10-15-2014-beyerdynamic-t51i-added
I'm just not sure on the Mix-amps chat function.

I guess you mean the Creative Labs external sound card has the mic jack.
(it's more then just a simple headphone amp)

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #11 of 11
It seems to drive the pro 900s fine alone but I'm afraid once my BoomPro mic comes in it won't drive both that well once mixing in the chat volume. What do you think?

Dude, just try it and see.  You'll know right away if it doesn't get loud enough for you.  If not, order the E11.

There are no dedicated amps with 4-pole connections as far as I know.

Oh, and I use the Mixamp 5.8 with an E11 on my Q701's as those are notoriously hard to drive.  I don't know if the Ultrasones are hard to drive.  Ask in the MLE thread, like Purple Angel suggested.  Someone in there should know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back