Need Advice: Maverick D1 vs. uDac+LD 1+.
Apr 28, 2010 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

miyinan

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I now have an uDac for my MS1is and powered speakers and looking for an upgrade. I have read a few threads about the Maverick D1. It looks pretty good and could connect to powered speakers. But because I have already had the uDac, should I go for the combination of uDac and little dot 1+ as many people here have suggested? or just replace the uDac with the Maverick D1 and call it a day?

How would you compare Maverick D1 and uDac+Little Dot 1+? Will the combination of uDac and LD 1+ beat Maverick D1 in terms of SQ? How big will be the difference? I do sometimes listen to my speakers as well, so it would be nice if I can use it with speakers, but SQ go first for sure!

Thanks

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 7
I cant comment on the Maverick, as I have never heard one.. But I do have a uDac and LD I+ that I use everyday with Grado's and its AWESOME!! It took quite a few tubes and opamps for me to find whats perfect for my ears, but was well worth it!!

Apr 29, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 7
i would say in terms of performance they are about the same. but keeping the udac and going for the LDI+ lets you upgrade in the future with more ease. i personally cant justify using the maverick dac alone in the long run when i sold the udac to fund it.

just my 2 cents

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvaffles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would say in terms of performance they are about the same. but keeping the udac and going for the LDI+ lets you upgrade in the future with more ease. i personally cant justify using the maverick dac alone in the long run when i sold the udac to fund it.

just my 2 cents

Thanks vvaffles. How would you compare udac and maverick as dac/amp combo?

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 7
I have both the Maverick and the LD1+. I haven't heard the uDac though. For my Grados, I use the Maverick as a DAC/pre-amp for the LD1+. For my higher impedance DT880s, I prefer to use the Maverick as both a DAC/amp combo.

Since you're using the MS1, they should be similar to my Grado HF-2s in terms of how much power they need, so I think you'll be better off getting the LD1+ and using the uDAC as the DAC.

The Maverick as an amp is better suited for higher impedance cans and is a bit sharper in sound, in my opinion. The LD1+ has a warmer sound and will probably sound better with your MS1s.

Apr 29, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by triple-u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the Maverick and the LD1+. I haven't heard the uDac though. For my Grados, I use the Maverick as a DAC/pre-amp for the LD1+. For my higher impedance DT880s, I prefer to use the Maverick as both a DAC/amp combo.

Since you're using the MS1, they should be similar to my Grado HF-2s in terms of how much power they need, so I think you'll be better off getting the LD1+ and using the uDAC as the DAC.

The Maverick as an amp is better suited for higher impedance cans and is a bit sharper in sound, in my opinion. The LD1+ has a warmer sound and will probably sound better with your MS1s.

Thanks. I think I am getting the LD 1+ and go from there.

Thanks again guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back