Need advice in drilling.....holesize and clearance
Jun 7, 2005 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
hey guys, i dont really have experience in these stuff, jsut wondering that....if i have a 1.1" knob, and would like the kbo to sink into the front panel just like this:

gs1_front2.jpg

would a 1.125" ( 1 1/8") hole be perfectly okay? or should I opt for something bigger? next size would be 1.185" ( 1 3/16" )?

the problem is that, even if the knob fits perfectly in a 1.125" hole, im not sure if i can align the knob/pot perfectly so that it is in the middle
frown.gif

I have thought of making an inset instead, but since my faceplate is already preanodized, making an inset of scrape off the anodized layer, it may oxidize over time.....i didnt wanna deaodize and reanodize the whole face plate again.

help....i dont know what to do
frown.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 8
If you can use a hole saw thats just a little bigger than the knob, and use a drill press, and all should be well also make sure to mask off the rest of the face plate. im sure theres other ways and will be posted by others.

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 8
if i were to cut the hole without and inset, there wouldnt be anything holding the shaft to the middle.....so it is not really easy to align the knob, especially when i have three of them
frown.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 8
If there's already a hole in the right place and you want to make it bigger, I'd look for a stepped drill bit. The center of your new, bigger hole has a good chance of being in the same place. Over an inch might be hard to find or expensive though.

If you are very lucky, you might find a machine shop with bored, friendly guys who will be happy to show off their skills for a reasonable price.

I wouldn't worry about the anodizing. Unless you have a really bad piece of al it shouldn't flake around the edges or rot.

The cheap-o caveman method would involve a spade bit and lots of curse words. Good luck!

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 8
as a matter of fact, it is going to be done in a machine shop. im living in an apartment and i cant imagine what those ppl staying below me would do if i drill metal above their head
blink.gif

so AtomBoy, are you suggesting that i should just make a larger inset like most of the Ray Samuels amp without bothering to reanodize the "raw" part? im only afraid that the inset would turn yellowish/greenish over time. but of course, i can always make an inset that is just right about the size of the knob and forget about what is going on underneath my knob
tongue.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
as a matter of fact, it is going to be done in a machine shop. im living in an apartment and i cant imagine what those ppl staying below me would do if i drill metal above their head
blink.gif

so AtomBoy, are you suggesting that i should just make a larger inset like most of the Ray Samuels amp without bothering to reanodize the "raw" part? im only afraid that the inset would turn yellowish/greenish over time. but of course, i can always make an inset that is just right about the size of the knob and forget about what is going on underneath my knob
tongue.gif

If your drill is big enough, they won't say anything! (Kidding- just kidding!)

The machined aluminium should look quite shiny at first and oxidize to a dull grey over time. If your plate is anodised 'natural' and not dyed, it should match up pretty close eventually. If you live within sight of the ocean, it *might* go green or white.

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 8
i havent seen a Gilmore lite in the flesh myself, but it kinda looks like there are two panels. one front panel and one sub panel (upon which the panel components are mounted). what would probably be the best is to cut the holes in one panel to mount the panel components. then have another panel in front with a bigger hole that the knob will fit inside
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 8
my drill is ok
icon10.gif

my plate is pre anodized when i bought my casing. so when they create an inset, the anodized part of the larger ring is gonna get scraped off...and if i make the inset rather huge..or wide i should say....the raw part will definitely get oxidized later. but dude, it looks cool with a larger hole at the back
biggrin.gif
im wondering if it is worth the hassles and money to deanodize and reanodize it just for that look....

skyscraper, i belive it is a one piece plate with an inset that is just slightly as huge as the knob:

boz-p2-f8.jpg

boz-p2-f10.jpg

if the hassles and $$ doesnt justify the cool look of having a larger inset, im gonna go the gilmore way, exactly like the picture above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back