Need advice: Headphones for gaming, movies and bassy music
Oct 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

FlavioWolff

500+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fiers!
I am going to the USA in a few months, so I will take the opportunity and get a new pair of headphones.
I currently own a Grado SR325is, and it is my only headphone (ditched away my DT990 Pro, as I couldn't stand the treble). I simply love the Grados so much for the genres I mostly listen to (rock and metal) that I will not risk selling it and getting a RS-1i, PS500 and not liking it in the end. I think I am settled on the 325is for a long time to come.

But I also game and watch movies a lot, and from time to time I am in the mood of listening to some electronica or pop music, with hard and impactful beats :xf_eek:. But the problem is: the Grados aren't very optimal in those departments. It is very detailed, but it lacks the theater-like sound for movies and gaming (bass depth and punch). Please note that I am not a competitive gamer, so I favor the fun factor over positional perfection (so no AD700s for me). And, although it is a very enjoyable experience to hear electronica and pop on them, I feel like I need deeper and punchier bass is needed.
I do not want to get a single headphone to listen to rock, metal, pop, electronica, games and movies, because I don't believe there is a headphone up to the task (at least not on my budget). I recently expected the DT990 Pro to handle it, and it almost did, but the U-shaped signature was more than I could bare... if the 325is are bright, the DT990s are xenons. Bass was perfect on the DT990, though.

TL;DR: I will keep my SR325is for metal, rock and acoustic, and get another headphone to watch movies, play PC games and listen to electronica and pop. I want this new headphone to have fun bass with depth and impact, an open sound that will make dialogues sound clear, decent soundstage and good comfort

I did a lot of research, and the brand that is currently appealing more to me is Ultrasone. Their phones seem to have the signature I am looking for, especially the Pro 900. Denon D2000 may do it too.

Open or closed, doesn't really matter.

My equipment consists of a X-Fi Titanium HD soundcard (with a decent Burr-Brown PCM1794 DAC and the surround effects I need for gaming and movies), and a Schiit Asgard amp.
Budget is around $400-500 max.

What do you guys suggest? Any input is welcome!

Thank you very much in advance!

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 25
Sounds like a great opportunity to expand your gear. Some questions: do you prefer portability?

I've watched a couple movies with the sr325is and I was impressed. To me, seems like they check off most of the boxes in the sound department and rarely need to tweak the sound much. So don't take your sr325is for granted! They can very well be your go-to cans for most genres. The whole east coast is in disaster mode and hoarding bread, water, and batteries. I wish I had an extra set of Grados and batteries for my mp3 player :)

Anyway, I wish i can give you more information on Beyers and Ultrasones because they do have a wide range of models that might fit what you are looking for. Hopefully someone will chime in on that.

In terms of the big, theatre sound, you'll definitely get something along lines of Denons D2K. Movies - they are sub monsters - and that's without any eq or bass boost. For movies however, it'll help a lot to use some normalization and bump up the 2k-4k frequencies for voices. Just be wary of the new line of Denons that are very bass-centric. Music may sound fine, but you'll have heck of a time to get the vocal balanced for movies.

So many Denon D2000, but since they are out of production and more difficult to get so here are some alternatives:
  1. AKG K550:  Great Bass, Mids, Good soundstage (closed back and great isolation) easy to drive
  2. Ok could use a little more help here :)

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:
Hello head-fiers!
I am going to the USA in a few months, so I will take the opportunity and get a new pair of headphones.
I currently own a Grado SR325is, and it is my only headphone (ditched away my DT990 Pro, as I couldn't stand the treble). I simply love the Grados so much for the genres I mostly listen to (rock and metal) that I will not risk selling it and getting a RS-1i, PS500 and not liking it in the end. I think I am settled on the 325is for a long time to come.
But I also game and watch movies a lot, and from time to time I am in the mood of listening to some electronica or pop music, with hard and impactful beats
redface.gif
. But the problem is: the Grados aren't very optimal in those departments. It is very detailed, but it lacks the theater-like sound for movies and gaming (bass depth and punch). Please note that I am not a competitive gamer, so I favor the fun factor over positional perfection (so no AD700s for me). And, although it is a very enjoyable experience to hear electronica and pop on them, I feel like I need deeper and punchier bass is needed.
I do not want to get a single headphone to listen to rock, metal, pop, electronica, games and movies, because I don't believe there is a headphone up to the task (at least not on my budget). I recently expected the DT990 Pro to handle it, and it almost did, but the U-shaped signature was more than I could bare... if the 325is are bright, the DT990s are xenons. Bass was perfect on the DT990, though.
TL;DR: I will keep my SR325is for metal, rock and acoustic, and get another headphone to watch movies, play PC games and listen to electronica and pop. I want this new headphone to have fun bass with depth and impact, an open sound that will make dialogues sound clear, decent sound stage and good comfort
I did a lot of research, and the brand that is currently appealing more to me is Ultrasone. Their phones seem to have the signature I am looking for, especially the Pro 900. Denon D2000 may do it too.
Open or closed, doesn't really matter.
My equipment consists of a X-Fi Titanium HD soundcard (with a decent Burr-Brown PCM1794 DAC and the surround effects I need for gaming and movies), and a Schiit Asgard amp.
Budget is around $400-500 max.
What do you guys suggest? Any input is welcome!
Thank you very much in advance!

Beyer DT880 Premium 600-Ohm or DT990 Premium 600-Ohm.
Be patient, keep an eye out of a good deal on used ones.
Check Head-fi thread "Headphones for Sale".

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 25
If you can find a pair grab something from the Denon AH-D series.

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 25
If you can find a ahdxxxx denon I would grab it if its a decent price. I have a feeling they are going to hold their value through the life of the new denon line. They are like someone else said, sub mosnters. I have the 5000 and love them. The bass is sexy and great for movies and the like. The gaming is decent on them too. The soundstage / directional ques are there but not on part with something like the he400. Also that is something too, the he400. Amazing bass for a open headphone and has very smooth mids. Love the hell out of mine. They are probably the 2 most used headphones I have, followed by the mad dogs but those are a bit neutral for what you want. 

cheers

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:
Dt770 pro80. Gaming, music, movies. They can handle it. 

Agree. I use the 250 ohm version and they're great for everything you mentioned. They have very soft almost velour type cushion pads which give good isolation and are extremely comfortable to wear on the almost same invisible level of comfort of the Audio Technica Ath AD700.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro does everything also very well with bass that doesnt overpower the treble or midrange. Though the treble isnt as crystal clear as the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro its still plenty to give a good soundstage while giving the best isolation i have ever seen in a headphone yet. Its like putting on ear plugs when using the HD 280 and they have a bit of a grip so you might want to test them out at the store first for comfort or see about the option of returning them if they're too uncomfortable.

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 25
The dt770 is an amazing headphone but nowhere close to matching the d5000 or 7000. I think he was something a bit more then something in the 200ish range. That being said its a great choice to combo with an amp/dac that may be plenty for the OP

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #11 of 25
This has a Denon written all over it. Get a used D2000 or D5000 from head-fi forums here....I saw a D5000 going cheap a while back.

For gaming and movies, I prefer my D2000 over my HE-500. Superb comfort, while closed it still has one of the best soundstages for closed headphones and most importantly, its sub-bass rumbles like none other. It's subwoofer type bass actually brings you the closest to a home theatre impact IMO. 

Also regarding the V-shaped, Denon's are more flatter and natural then the Pro 900. The D2000/D5000 is a great all-rounder. For pop it's quite good. Overall for electronica, I would give it 8/10.....it sometimes feels lacking in mid-bass punch for electronica (although for movies it comes out perfect) and the transients at times seems slow (also because I have the HE-500 beside me). Despite those two minor issues, I would still recommend the Denon's 

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 25
Pro 2900. Absolutely astounding for movies, electronica, and gaming (especially with Dolby Headphone). If the DT990 was to bright for you, I'd stay far far away from the Pro 900 btw. Also, the Pro 2900 walks all over the D2000 for your needs imo.

-Daniel

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 25
The mids on the Pro 2900 are still incredibly detailed and easy to discern-a rarity for bassy headphones imo. It's not huge boomy subterannean bass like the Denon line either.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back