Need Advice: Getting rid of Speaker rig for headphones
Sep 19, 2004 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jman999

Head-Fier
Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes...

I have an Onkyo HT-R410 receiver hooked up to a pair of HKB6 speakers. I like the sound just fine, but I all ready have a good set of speakers that I am keeping and would like to experiment with headphones; however, I don't have the money. Should I sell them, here or hometheaterforum or ebay, or would I get a better deal if I trade them for headphones directly?

I am looking for either AT A500/A900, Beyer. DT-250-80, Senn. HD-25-1 or Senn. HD555.. The problem is my speaker rig is worth more than all those headphones used, w/the exception of the A900.

I am looking for the cheapest way to get into head-fi, so if you have suggestions please contribute.

Thanks, Jonathan.

EDIT: Sorry about that, I couldn't figure out where to post this thread.

Sep 19, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jman999
Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes...

I have an Onkyo HT-R410 receiver hooked up to a pair of HKB6 speakers. I like the sound just fine, but I all ready have a good set of speakers and would like to experiment with headphones; however, I don't have the money. Should I sell them, here or hometheaterforum or ebay, or would I get a better deal if I trade them for headphones directly?

I am looking for either AT A500/A900, Beyer. DT-250-80, Senn. HD-25-1 or Senn. HD555.. The problem is my speaker rig is worth more than all those headphones used, w/the exception of the A900.

I am looking for the cheapest way to get into head-fi, so if you have suggetions please contribute.

Thanks, Jonathan.

This should've been posted at members' Lounge, but here it goes anyways
biggrin.gif

If you are serious about getting a pair of headphones instead of your current speaker rigs, you can advertize here or Audiogon first. Ebay is generally last resort since there are too many ifs.

Generally it will be better if you were to sell your current systems for cash, then buy an used phone. Normally a good deal is made within few minutes of posting here and cash seem to work best for most of cases. Trading offer may be ignored unless your speaker rig is high desirable by the selling party.

IMHO, trading is only feasible and practical when you currently own something that is desirable by other members so that you have very good chance of find someone with your desired gears who will trade with you. Of course, a little luck doesn't really hurt either! Good luck!

Sep 19, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 11
Your best option, assuming the Onkyo has a headphone jack, is to try a few headphones you buy used. Spend some time with each and find your favorite 'house' sound. When or if you find a headphone you are happy with AND feel you can leave speakers behind for it then dump the speaker setup in your local paper and look for an amp to match your headphones.

Beauty of the used market is you can try and if you don't like all you lost is shipping cost. Makes getting the exact system you want through trial much more cost effective than buying new sight unseen.

PS: Reason I suggest newspaper is that level of audio really isn't what inet audiophiles are looking for so it'll likely sit for a while before selling online.

Sep 19, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 11
Yes, while it is a great-sounding system it's definitely not audiophile quality. I would definitely like to have to a nice headphone system for music.

Sep 19, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 11
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but remember that when selling speakers long distance, unless you've kept the original packing, that's another hassle to go through. Also, since the amp is critical consider the amp/phones as a matched set. My Yamaha receiver which I use for movie surround has an anemic sounding headphone jack. Good luck.

Sep 19, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 11
I actually have pretty much all the original packaging, so that's not too much of a problem for me. Also maybe it's just me, but both my Onkyo and my vintage Sansui receiver seem to enhance the sound coming out of my cheap Labtec headphones. Will it not do the same for more expensive headphones? In fact, when I tested it with the HD 497 it sounded pretty good. I need closed phones, though.

Sep 19, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jman999
I actually have pretty much all the original packaging, so that's not too much of a problem for me. Also maybe it's just me, but both my Onkyo and my vintage Sansui receiver seem to enhance the sound coming out of my cheap Labtec headphones. Will it not do the same for more expensive headphones? In fact, when I tested it with the HD 497 it sounded pretty good. I need closed phones, though.

Original packaging helps, but I guess another issue will be shipping 32lbs speakers. For highend speaker, shipping for a pair of speakers weighing 32lbs aren't big deal. However in your case, shipping will be about 20%-30% of your selling price. It may or may not be an issue. I would check and see if you can arrange a local pick up for increased selling opportunity.

A vintage receiver headphone outs do work better than typical headphone outputs of newer/lastest models. However there is a point where quality/capability of headphones can exceed your receivers' maximum capability. I would try to get a pair of headphones that work well with receivers' headphone outputs such as A500/A900 or Senn HD555.

Sep 19, 2004 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 11
My advice: Keep the speakers and save up a little. I just bought a speaker rig (after hearing exclusively on headphones for years) and noticed that there are a lot of records that sound much better on speakers than headphones.
Of course, there are also a lot of records that work better with headphones...
With only headphones you'd miss out on a lot of good music like I did!
Maybe even your favourites wouldn't sound like you want them to ...

-Taurui

Sep 19, 2004 at 9:59 AM Post #9 of 11
like taurui said, i also dont understand why you wanna sell all your speaker rigs (which you are currently enjoying) and do major switch to headphones.

why dont you just get a pair of headphones as an addition to your system?
i live in an apartment, thats why i cant really get a nice speaker system (whats the point of having nice speakers if you cant listen to them?)... so if your environment allows you to use speakers, why you wanna get rid of them ?

if you totally get rid of your speakers, trust me, you'd miss those moments when you can fill your whole room with music... its a joy.

i say keep them and get a pair of headphones instead.

Sep 19, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 11
Sorry if my original post wasn't clear. I only want to get rid of my HKB6s and Onkyo HT Receiver. I'm keeping my other speaker setup (can you say vintage?) which is a Sansui 771 receiver hooked up to Sansui SP5500X speakers.

Sep 19, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 11
I was going to say, keep the speaker rig, but your last post cleared that up. When I first got into this hobby, I bought a vintage Marantz 1060 intergrated amp and a pair of Alessandro ms-2's. I was very happy with that set up for a while. Use your Sansui headphone jack and buy some cans used and see which you like best. Then, when you know headphones are for you, go out a buy a headamp.

You can try selling the Onkyo and speakers on this forum. I've seen non audiophile equipment sell. Somethimes people are looking for inexpensive 2d and 3d rigs for home and office. It can't hurt to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back